Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Ten High is now a blend, at least in New York.

Be on the look out for Ten High labeled not as "Kentucky Straight Sour Mash Bourbon Whiskey," but as "Bourbon Whiskey - a Blend."

My friend in upstate New York, who discovered this outrage after he got the bottle home, was told by his whiskey monger that the straight has been discontinued.

My friend wondered if this was some depredation by the brand's new owner, but I assured him it can't be Sazerac's fault, as that deal won't even close for another month or so.

The Constellation Spirits web site still shows the only available expression of Ten High as being the 80-proof straight bourbon we all know and love...well, know, anyway.

Ten High was once a big brand, made by Hiram Walker in Peoria, Illinois. It passed first to Heaven Hill, then to Barton. The name refers to aging in the upper part of the warehouse, at the tenth rick high or above.

Advanced Taster

Re: Ten High is now a blend, at least in New York.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Be on the look out for Ten High labeled not as "Kentucky Straight Sour Mash Bourbon Whiskey," but as "Bourbon Whiskey - a Blend."

The Constellation Spirits web site still shows the only available expression of Ten High as being the 80-proof straight bourbon we all know and love...well, know, anyway.

Ten High was once a big brand, made by Hiram Walker in Peoria, Illinois. It passed first to Heaven Hill, then to Barton. The name refers to aging in the upper part of the warehouse, at the tenth rick high or above.
    I actually looked at a bottle of this the other day because it was stuck over on the "Canadian Whiskey" shelf. I can remember drinking this a while back, well a few years back, and remember it being the straight whiskey. I guess the store just ran out of room on the shelf because it is still labeled this way here in TN. It is funny that you make this post after I actually picked up(not to buy)this bottle just the other day. I will keep my eye on it to see if the label changes any time soon. Don't think it is a fast mover here so may take a while to rotate stock.

P.S. That is interesting info on the name, I never knew that. Thanks.
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Disciple

Chuck, when was TH a HH product? I have a TH10 from Barton in 1990 and thought that Hiram Walker was still around at that time.

Jeff Mo.

I believe Hiram Walker retained the brand for some time after it closed the plant in Peoria, but contracted with Heaven Hill to produce it. They closed Peoria in 73, so they probably contracted with Heaven Hill in the late 70s, when they started to run out of the Peoria whiskey. I'm not sure when Walker sold the brand, but I think it was always just a contract job at HH, then HW moved the contract to Barton, which eventually bought the brand, and then only a few more years after that, took the Hiram Walker name off the label. They also added their own (i.e., Tom Moore's) founding date of 1879.

Guru

My friend in upstate New York, who discovered this outrage after he got the bottle home, was told by his whiskey monger that the straight has been discontinued.
    This sucks.

What sucks is that they can keep the "bourbon" part. I didn't think they could get away with that. I thought that's why Early Times started calling itself a "Kentucky whiskey" when some of the juice in the bottle was replaced with distillate aged in used cooperage.

This Ten High "Bourbon Whiskey - a Blend", does it contain GNS? Surely they can't go that far and still use "bourbon" as part of the name. Right?

Virtuoso

Good Questions Brad.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Disciple

From what I understand....if they are making the whisky from bourbon and gns...it can be called bourbon blend.

If they are using used cooperage with new distillate...then they can't call it bourbon. And thus, it is just called whisky.

Now, if BF wanted to...they could call their product a bourbon blend, because they use bourbon in the blend. I think they liked the term whisky to blend? Also, I don't think ET has any gns in it?

Sound right, Chuck?
    Last edited by mozilla; 02-02-2009 at 14:50.

Jeff Mo.

Virtuoso

I believe Hiram Walker retained the brand for some time after it closed the plant in Peoria, but contracted with Heaven Hill to produce it. They closed Peoria in 73, so they probably contracted with Heaven Hill in the late 70s, when they started to run out of the Peoria whiskey. I'm not sure when Walker sold the brand, but I think it was always just a contract job at HH, then HW moved the contract to Barton, which eventually bought the brand, and then only a few more years after that, took the Hiram Walker name off the label. They also added their own (i.e., Tom Moore's) founding date of 1879.
    OK, now I'm confused. I've got a bottle of Ten High that says "Distilled by Hiram Walker & Sons, Inc., Peoria, Illinois", but it's a 750ml bottle, which would make it '76 or '77, wouldn't it? So it wasn't actually distilled in Peoria?

Maybe they quit distilling in 1973 but kept bottling what was in the warehouses?

I only bought this thing to have mainstream bourbon not distilled in Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    Maybe they quit distilling in 1973 but kept bottling what was in the warehouses?
    That is exactly what they did. The distillery closed altogether in 1981. I'm not sure when ADM acquired it and started to make ethanol there.

"Bourbon - a Blend," aka "Blended Bourbon Whiskey" is a recognized category in the federal standards. While a "blended whiskey" must contain 20% straight whiskey on a proof gallon basis, a "Bourbon blend" must contain at least 51% straight bourbon, also on a proof gallon basis. "Proof gallon basis" means it must be at least 51% full proof (i.e., 100 proof) straight whiskey, so if it's then diluted down to 80 proof, the ratio of whiskey to GNS is even more in the whiskey's favor. You can also have blended rye whiskey, same deal.

Although it's not required by the law, most producers use grain spirits that are not, technically, neutral because they have spent a few months in used barrels.

The term "blend" is reserved for those products that combine straight whiskey with an un-aged spirit, either a neutral spirit or un-aged whiskey, or these grain spirits. Early Times really isn't that. Early Times combines straight whiskey with something called "Whiskey distilled from bourbon mash.'' That is a bourbon mash whiskey that has been aged in used, not new, cooperage. Not wanting to get bogged down in all that terminology, Brown-Forman just coined the term "Kentucky Whiskey," which has no legal meaning beyond the legal meaning of "whiskey" and the fact that place-of-origin names have to be truthful. After all, they had pretty good success with "Tennessee Whiskey."

Enthusiast

Rectified Booze made to look AUTHENTIC.

HELLO?!?

BB