Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Ten High is now a blend, at least in New York.

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    My guess would be that as long as Hiram Walker owned the brand, or possibly the brand and the plant, the label stayed the same as it was in Peoria. After Barton took over, they decided "Kentucky" would be a good thing to have on the label.

Remember, people then didn't know how long the bourbon crash would last. Some thought it might turn around quickly and go back to its former levels. Consistent with the above, perhaps Walker closed Peoria but didn't sell it, with the expectation that if bourbon did rebound, they could reopen. Eventually Hiram Walker itself was sold, and parts such as the distillery and the Ten High brand were sold off. Even if bourbon did rebound, Barton wasn't moving Ten High back to Peoria, so it became moot.

Just a theory.
    Makes a lot of sense.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

The local grocer...Meijer...has plenty of 10 High - unblended - selling for about $10-11. I have never had it...it looked by color fairly light...I still think I will pass on it.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...light=Ten+High
    Last edited by Jono; 02-17-2009 at 10:50.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Ten High - Bourbon a blend is on the shelves in KY now
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Interesting that it's still a bourbon in Illinios. I wonder if Illinois is a partcularly good market for the brand, due to the fact that until 30 years ago it was made here. It's also possible that the Illinois distributor just has a lot of the bourbon so the blend hasn't rolled out yet. I got a bottle for the bunker and maybe if it's still a bourbon the next time I'm in a liquor store, I'll buy another.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    The local grocer...Meijer...has plenty of 10 High - unblended - selling for about $10-11
    I picked up a bottle (straight bourbon) at our local Meijer for $7.22, the state minimum. Lots on the shelf.

It's not bad for a mixer or cooking bourbon, but a little rough for drinking straight/on the rocks/with a splash.

Jeff
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Advanced Taster

I have been keeping an eye on Ten High since this thread was posted. I have watched it all turn to the blend in a few short weeks. All I see now is the blend.
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by sotnsipper View Post
    I have been keeping an eye on Ten High since this thread was posted. I have watched it all turn to the blend in a few short weeks. All I see now is the blend.
    Still the bourbon in PA - NJ and DE all switched to the blend. Had never had this until this thread started. I actually kinda like it! Not premium bourbon for sure but very drinkable - and has a nice kick.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by sotnsipper View Post
    Same here in Hawaii. Two days ago is the first time I saw the blend at my local grocery store. Funny, I've never even tried TH the KSBW, yet thanks to this forum and Chuck's blog, I find myself looking at the Ten High label every time I go to the liquor/grocery store...
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am...

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

One interesting point about these reports is it shows how well Ten High is still distributed. It's a shame the brand's owners couldn't build on that and decided to milk it instead.

The next thing to watch for: does the Ten High blend start showing up on close-outs? That will tell us that retailers initially ordered in as much of the blend as they had the bourbon, but consumers stopped buying it. Ditto if it starts to disappear from stores that had been carrying it.

Taster

Chuck, do you think you could tell the difference in a blind taste test between TH the blend and TH the Bourbon? Is it drastically different? Do you think a regular TH Bourbon drinker could be fooled if he weren't paying attention to the label?
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am...