Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

How many of you....?

How many of you take a pull straight from the bottle occasionally? I must admit that I do. Every once in a while I just don't feel like a full or regular pour of any kind. I'll pick a bottle, and take a small tug just to get a small taste and wet my whistle. I hesitated a little in starting this thread because I don't want to be offensive or gross. I just figure I can't be the only one out here that does this. A little help from the crowd please. Joe

PS. I only do this with bottles that only have a little left, or that only I will ever drink from.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Connoisseur

Re: How many of you....?

Havent done it yet.

Guru

In my youth I did. But I don't feel it is right to slobber all over the mouth of a bottle I may offer someone a drink from at a later date.

I have a saying: Drinking whiskey from the bottle is a good way to ship a tooth.

Obviously, you're not going to chip a tooth if you are sober. But I know someone who chipped one of his front teeth while quite drunk. No, it wasn't me.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    In my youth I did. But I don't feel it is right to slobber all over the mouth of a bottle I may offer someone a drink from at a later date.

I have a saying: Drinking whiskey from the bottle is a good way to ship a tooth.

Obviously, you're not going to chip a tooth if you are sober. But I know someone who chipped one of his front teeth while quite drunk. No, it wasn't me.
    After this --- I got nothing
    TJ
    Last edited by The Boozer; 02-03-2009 at 23:38.

Advanced Taster

I plead guilty, your honor.
    "Finish your bourbon. There are sober children in India." -- Your Mom

Disciple

Joe, I definitely do that occasionally. Alcohol kills the germs and I don't have any whiskey drinking friends anyway. Only some dudes I met on the internet.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Connoisseur

I do this, usually just with cheaper bottles though. I don't let people drink straight from the bottle if it's my bottle though. We had a friend of the family over who drinks a lot and they'd take a slam out of my WT101 bottle every time they walked past it if no one was looking. I don't care about the bourbon they drank at all, they were a guest (offered to pay for it before I noticed them drinking it but I refused), but the backwash/floaters they left in the remainder of the bottle looked gross and I wound up throwing it out; no bottle I've ever drank from has ever looked anything close to this bottle. Later, at dinner, two thirds of the bottle later (all them), they had a really horrible coughing fit and sounded like they were going to throw up, being the only only who knew that they'd been drinking and how much all I could picture was a geyser of WT101 erupting from their mouth so I slowly distanced myself from them at the table... lol
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Virtuoso

Never felt the need. Scared of chipping a tooth.

Besides there is the whole backwash thing - the very thing that makes the last 10% of a bottle of beer so unappealing.

Apprentice

All the time. Don't want to waste time pouring.....

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Ewwwwwwwww! Remind me to make you all open new bottles when I come to visit!!!

Dawn