Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Enthusiast Bottlings

It's exciting to see the American whiskey industry finally respond to the American enthusiast community with products directly targeted to that community. I'm speaking specifically of the Old Forester "Birthday Bourbon" from Brown Forman and the George T. Stagg bourbon expected imminently from Buffalo Trace. These are true "enthusiast" products because they are primarily about the whiskey, not about packaging or other gimmicks. They are limited-availability and pricey relative to the category overall, but affordable for most people. Let's hope these products are successful (I'm sure we'll all do what we can to ensure that) and the industry follows through with more, similar efforts.

In contrast, Maker's Mark continues to explore the iconic potential of colored wax. Is it possible they simply don't have any whiskey good enough for an enthusiast bottling?

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Enthusiast Bottlings

Oh Yeah Chuckybaby I sure do agree!

Disciple

Hmmmmm. . . . . .Maker\'s Mark

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Oh Yeah Chuckybaby I sure do agree!

[/QUOTE]

You know up until recently I was very reluctant to agree with you reagrding that, but it seems all the more possible as recent events dictate. Several other distilleries have recently introduced "specialty" bottlings of standardish brands (three great examples to me are the BDay Bourbon, George T Stagg, &amp; Eagle Rare 17), and yet you hear nothing from Star Hill. Its not like they are taking a marketing stance like Barton, or, up until this point, Old Forester (our standard priced barands are good enough), because they have been selling MM as premium product all along. Maybe what Linn thinks is true, Maybe thats as good as their bourbon gets, which I find saddening, cause I think it has potential !!

Tom (Bummed, but Honest) C

PS two semi -realted thoughts

To echo some already widely accepted sentiments
    1) wouldnt a Barton specialty batch/single barrel be some good stuff!!! I mean with a standard inexpensive bourbon like their BIB as a base brand, could you even imagine the "Honey Barrels". . . . .

2) Wouldnt a specialty bottling be a great way to bring Four Roses single barrel stateside?? (hinthint!!) I mean release it once a year in a small amount, like 600-800bottles?? That means the die hards can find a way to get it (like us), and that doesnt leave much room for gray markets.. . . . . . .food for thought. . . . .

Enthusiast

Re: Hmmmmm. . . . . .Maker\'s Mark

M'Dawg, I saw that you mentioned the Old Forester B'day bourbon in your post. Have you tried it? I have just purchased a bottle that I am anxious to "test". I thought it appropriate-I like Old Forester, and I have a b'day this week!

Guru

We were fortunate enough to try the Old Forester B-day bourbon at this years bourbon festival while at a tasting at Labrot &amp; Graham. It was a great bourbon with a very nice finish. I have been looking all over for a bottle here in NYC, but still haven't struck anything. Consider yourself lucky! Enjoy and happy birthday

-Mark

Enthusiast

Mark, I must admit I am envious! I love most of the Old F stuff. My birthday is Thursday, and was looking forward to "breaking in" the new bottle. I guess we are lucky-it is in most all stores now! I was curious on what some of gang had to say... Thanks, H'wood

Guru

Rumor has it that the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon causes memory loss, wrinkles, and occasional impotence.

Do not drink it! Don't even open the bottle! If this urgent warning reaches you in time, send it to me via UPS for safe disposal.

Yours truly,
    Dave "They didn't distribute it in California" Morefield

Enthusiast

Ha....A man of humor I see! Either that or you have all of these symptoms, and are beyond help! Thanks for the warning, but I'm going to risk it. How about I give you a toast as I enjoy my tasty treat! Thanks, H'wood

Guru

Humor? Yes. Originality? No.

FYI, I have two out of the three symptoms, and the third one hasn't arisen as yet.

And yes, I'm beyond help, as Linn and Tom may well testify.

Here's to ya!

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Disciple

Yep I was lucky to be one of the group that was able to taste some of that fine elixir under the guidance of Chris Morris at this years Straight Bourbon tour of Labrot &amp; Graham. I got a healthy poor and jotted some stuff down. See the results, My Birthday Bourbon Tasting Notes , by following the link. I look forward to searching out some more for my personal stash in the near future. You are a lucky guy for getting a hold of some, as there were not many released.

Rock On,

TomC