Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Hmmmmm. . . . . .Maker\'s Mark

At WhiskyFest last week, I had a chance to try Maker's Mark at both 7yo and 19yo (along with new make and the standard). The 7yo was different but very good (remember I like MM). The 19yo had a good nose, but the palate lacked balance and was a bit woody.

They used this tasting to show why they only have the standard bottling. (Once the 101 proof bottling is gone from duty free it will not be replaced). They said they make the bourbon to a particular profile that is optimal for their style. If they released other (older) ages they would be perceived as "better" when in fact they were just different.

My personal opinion is that they would not want perception associated with a more expensive bottling to reduce the appeal of the mass produced standard bottling.

They also talked about how they rotate ageing barrels from the top to the bottom. This implies there would not be a "sweat spot" to chose from.

My opinion again... the just picked a 7 & 19yo to taste. These were not carefully selected, matured under a watchful eye, etc. So of course they were not exceptional. If they did carefully select and monitor barrels for extra aging, I think they could arrive a limited edition bottlings that would be exceptional. But this would be inconsistent with their overall marketing plan.

Guru

Re: Enthusiast Bottlings

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Doesn't MM have its "sugar barrels"?

[/QUOTE]

A cynic might opine that the few that they find are needed to make the regular product palatable. Not that I'm one of those cynics, mind you.

Yours truly,
    Dave "Just finishing my third glass of MM on the rocks this afternoon" Morefield

Disciple

Yep I was lucky to be one of the group that was able to taste some of that fine elixir under the guidance of Chris Morris at this years Straight Bourbon tour of Labrot &amp; Graham. I got a healthy poor and jotted some stuff down. See the results, My Birthday Bourbon Tasting Notes , by following the link. I look forward to searching out some more for my personal stash in the near future. You are a lucky guy for getting a hold of some, as there were not many released.

Rock On,

TomC

Enthusiast

M'Dawg, I guess I didn't realize how lucky I am! I have two bottles, but to be honest it is in about every store here in the Birmingham area. Doesn't sound like it will last very long! H'wood

Enthusiast

Re: Enthusiast Bottlings

Chuck,

Hopefully this is a trend that will continue, to the extreme enjoyment of all enthusiasts. Having tried the Stagg bottling, which I enjoyed immensely, I'm eagerly awaiting it's release. I'm planning to buy as much of it as I can. I have not yet tried the Birthday Bourbon, but from what I've read, it sure sounded like a winner. I'm still hoping to find it somewhere. As it sounds like most of the Birthday Bourbon is already sold, I would imagine that the George Stagg will sell quickly as well. In that event, hopefully this trend will continue for all of our enjoyment! Possibly others in the industry will recognize that this demand exists, and will add other products that we would like to try.

Bob

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I should clarify that when the bourbon industry talks about something "selling out," they mean that all of the product has been sold into distribution. It's still up to us to do our part and buy it off the retailers' shelves.

Taster

I have always been a big fan of Makerís Mark. It was probably the first premium bourbon that I was introduced to when I first really started to appreciate bourbon. I have many other favorites and am always looking for something new. If you do not include the signed or collector bottles or other unopened bottles, I will usually have five or six different brands open at any one time. This provides an enjoyable variety of different tastes. I will rotate the brands always looking for new bourbons to try. We have a bar downstairs where I display my collector bottles and store the bourbon and other bar stuff. However, upstairs in our living room in a glass decanter you will always find Makerís Mark. At the end of a work day that is what I will often reach for. I guess you can say itís like my house bourbon. In short I can find the variety in other brands yet with Makerís Mark I have a product that I consider consistently good.

There is another advantage in enjoying Makerís Mark. I guess this is do Mr. Samuelís marketing and distribution efforts. In almost any bar or tavern they will carry Makerís Mark. Most small establishments will carry only four or five brands of bourbon or Tennessee whiskey. Around here it is usually a well whisky like Ten-High, then Jim Beam White, Jack Daniels Black, and Makerís Mark. Sometimes I can find Wild Turkey 101 but not as often. The point is that most of the taverns carried Makerís Mark as their premium. Therefore, I can usually find a bourbon I really enjoy almost everywhere.

Todd

Administrator in exile

SSSHHHHHH, they might hear you. You don't want to be BRANDED a MM fan around here. I am starting an underground movement to take over this rye loving website by MM lovers everywhere. Can I count on your support??

Disciple

I agree with all you have said and like to reiterate that I really do enjoy MM, I was just curious to why that was the only expression of it they had, especially when some of the better wheated bourbons seem to improve with a little more age. Wouldnt it be interesting to se what a 10/15 year old Maker's Mark would taste like if they took care of it properly. My only major complaint about MM's standard bottling is that it costs too much, if I could get it @ the $15 price point some can, I would be a happy guy.

TomC

Advanced Taster

Hmm... when i asked the makers mark tour guide why they don't sell a different proof or age bourbon here, she said that they have always had just one brand... Right after that i asked her why they sold such things to the Japanese and duty free markets, she said 'the Japanese pretty much can get whatever they want'... It sounds to me like it is marketing that is responsible for it all...

-Chris