Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Hmmmmm. . . . . .Maker\'s Mark

I dont doubt it. i think they could make a superlative wheated bourbon, akin to Julian's stuff, if they wanted to. i guess they just dont want to show us folks the best they can offer, cause they are afraid of losing a few cents. I would be way more open to paying extra for special bourbon, I have no interest in special bottles.

TomC

Advanced Taster

I keep thinking that some of the best bourbons i have tasted have been from bottles that supposedly were made from 'superb' barrels of wheated bourbon (Omar's V.V.O.Fitzgerald, Van Winkle's 20year) . Chuck told me in the gazebo that a way to make a great bourbon is to make a lot of it and pick the honey barrels... Is there anyone who has a large amount of aging wheated bourbon that has the ability to offer us something comparable to the V.V.O.F? I keep having this idea (dream) in my head that makers mark has been taking all the best barrels (i would imagine they have tons to choose from) and hiding them away somewhere special in order to grow a bourbon that can hold it's own with what we tasted in the gazebo...

-Chris

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

You have to wonder , are they that far adrift to not know that they could sell a 17 yearold single barrel , or a 12 yo special maker's in a limited edition. I don't give a damn about blue or white wax when Ky wins a basketball game. But it's Ky and a lot of people do. You have to hand it to them they have figured out how to sell a 12 dollar Bourbon for 20 bucks.

Enthusiast

BC, I'm not a huge MM fan, but if you want to drink it here it'll cost you $30-35! Consider $20 a deal!?? Unfortunately here in Alabama, most premium liquors start at the $30 mark. Jefferson Reserve-$52.00 JD Single Barrel-$47.00 etc. You get the picture. Enjoy what you like. See ya, H'wood

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Ouch! I think I can get a 1.75 for 38 or so. We are talking about a 750 ml , right? 30to 35 I couldn't stand that. I buy it when it is on sale at rite aid for 15.99 or 16.99 and that's the only time I buy it. Except I have got 3 vip for my sons birthday It's the same whiskey and you pay 8 or 9 dollars more for the bottle. I could get Woodford that way also but I started with Maker's . If it were Beam or Barton I would buy theirs because it is the bottle and label I'm after. not so much the Whiskey. The thing about Makers, that I dislike, Isn't that they make a bad product , They just make an overpriced one. But I guess the market will bear it. I checked out a liquor store the other day and they had WT 101 for 26.50 for a 750ml , I'm not going to do that either. That was a fluke because WT is readily available much cheaper. And is on sale often. Here's a time when you can be thankfull for Heaven Hill Elijah Craig in a nice bottle , no wax, 12 years old , 94 proof ...... Read Solid Value

Disciple

Man!, I thought I was getting shafted @ $22 - $25 a fifth for MM up this way. No way am I gonna pay $35 for it (at that price, try Old RipVan Winkle 15/107, a much better value). H'Wood its a good thing you dont like MM much, cause thats a waste of good money!

Tom ( <font color="red"> 700! </font color> ) C

Enthusiast

M'dawg, my sentiments exactly! Unfortunately, liquor in general is high here like I said. There are a few good buys on certain brands. Evan Williams Single Barrel runs around $21.00. That would be a great deal here. Most of my choices- WT, Woodford,JD Single Barrel, etc. are $30-$40 or more as I posted earler. See ya, H'wood

Guru

Well, you are lucky (if you like MM) - where I live, it is $28!

Tim

Taster

Around where we live the local drug store has it on sell a couple times a month for $16.99 for 750ml or you can get it a little cheaper if you purchase 1.75L.

Todd

Administrator in exile

You can get it on sale at Meijers here for $15.99 from time to time.