Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I?

Enthusiast

Should I?

Should I buy the rest of these? I found a half dozen JW Dant BIB handles (plastic) and figured I would try one for the hell of it. Doesn't have to be great for $23 a handle. So I just got home from work and I flipped the bottle around; DSP KY 31. Interesting!

There is some black printing on the bottle 030391615. Does that indicate it's bottled March 3 1991?

The juice is not bad at first sip. Nothing tremendous, young, one dimensional. Absolutely nothing stands out here.

But it is old HH juice and people here seem to believe that KY 31 is worth buying.

Guru

Re: Should I?

Quote Originally Posted by BBQ+Bourbon View Post
    Should I buy the rest of these? I found a half dozen JW Dant BIB handles (plastic) and figured I would try one for the hell of it. Doesn't have to be great for $23 a handle. So I just got home from work and I flipped the bottle around; DSP KY 31. Interesting!

There is some black printing on the bottle 030391615. Does that indicate it's bottled March 3 1991?

The juice is not bad at first sip. Nothing tremendous, young, one dimensional. Absolutely nothing stands out here.

But it is old HH juice and people here seem to believe that KY 31 is worth buying.
    If you like it, buy it.....if not, don't. I personally like Dant but my bottles are older from UD. I have a bottle from HH but have not opened it.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Okay, an admission, and an admission : I'm one of the folks who started paying attention to DSP #s, etc., when purchasing bottles. To date, there are still some #s/combinations that will be automatic 'buys' -- though waaayyyy fewer and farther between. Additionally --though, I suppose, the possibility of finding a hidden gem will never really end -- it really doesn't matter that much anymore. Anything worth plucking has been plucked. Sorry, y'all're just too late!
    That said, as Greg says, I buy what I want to drink. If the DSP means nothing in particular to me, then I don't pay it any mind. I'm not buying the label, I'm buying the whiskey...

Enthusiast

I disagree with your statement 'anything worth plucking has been plucked' since I bought a gold vein OWA for $16 a few months ago and found a WTT with the peacock bottle for $70 and passed it up.

However, in the case of this one, the HH heritage of the bottle doesn't make up for it's bland profile. You guys have convinced me that there is no need to rush back to pick up the remaining bottles.

I disagree with your statement 'anything worth plucking has been plucked' since I bought a gold vein OWA for $16 a few months ago and found a WTT with the peacock bottle for $70 and passed it up.

However, in the case of this one, the HH heritage of the bottle doesn't make up for it's bland profile. You guys have convinced me that there is no need to rush back to pick up the remaining bottles.
    Well, again, it's a matter of perspective: OWA in gold-veined bottles were a regular issue in my memory -- so I don't particularly consider that a 'great find' though, granted, I'd buy it at reasonable prices, if found. But, if I never find another one, well -- been there, done that!
    What is "WTT"? I assume that it's Wild Turkey, and that the 'peacock' you note is actually a turkey, but that's an acronym with which I am unfamiliar. Thus, I have no idea whether or not $70 is a good buy.
    Understand, you are free to disagree with me at your leisure. Heck, I often disagree with myself tomorrow what I opine today! But, I think our particular circumstance, generation, and experience define what each of us considers worth 'plucking' from today's environment.
    As for me, I 'pluck' little, and buy what I enjoy at the moment.

Disciple

Has anyone compiled a list of DSPs and related information?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Well, again, it's a matter of perspective: OWA in gold-veined bottles were a regular issue in my memory -- so I don't particularly consider that a 'great find' though, granted, I'd buy it at reasonable prices, if found. But, if I never find another one, well -- been there, done that!
    What is "WTT"? I assume that it's Wild Turkey, and that the 'peacock' you note is actually a turkey, but that's an acronym with which I am unfamiliar. Thus, I have no idea whether or not $70 is a good buy.
    Understand, you are free to disagree with me at your leisure. Heck, I often disagree with myself tomorrow what I opine today! But, I think our particular circumstance, generation, and experience define what each of us considers worth 'plucking' from today's environment.
    As for me, I 'pluck' little, and buy what I enjoy at the moment.
    You and I see this differently, no doubt. To me, finding a desirable bourbon that I haven't had is an adventure. Good bourbon is scarce around here save for a few current mid-shelf products so I never pass on a less common bottle. Your collection and experience are undoubtedly greater than mine, which may account for some of our differences.

That said, if you find any gold vein OWA, I'd sure love to have it! The WTT is Wild Turkey Tribute and yes it's a turkey. It just reminds me of the NBC peacock more than a turkey. You won't be impressed by that one, but there are guys who would love to have it.

Guru

Perhaps it would be better to say that "most of what's worth plucking has been plucked." There are still treasures to be found, though you may have to hunt for them at estate sales, bowling alleys, etc. rather than at little corner liquor stores in shitty neighborhoods (where I've had some great dusty hunting success, by the way). If it's new to you, it's good for you. Buy it and enjoy!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

You and I see this differently, no doubt. To me, finding a desirable bourbon that I haven't had is an adventure. Good bourbon is scarce around here save for a few current mid-shelf products so I never pass on a less common bottle. Your collection and experience are undoubtedly greater than mine, which may account for some of our differences.

That said, if you find any gold vein OWA, I'd sure love to have it! The WTT is Wild Turkey Tribute and yes it's a turkey. It just reminds me of the NBC peacock more than a turkey. You won't be impressed by that one, but there are guys who would love to have it.
    Just keep huntin' BBQ. I found a gold vein yesterday and, I was as pleased as punch, too. Tim's just a little jaded. If you had ever seen what gems he's brought to the Gazebo, you'd understand. I think it's hard for him to get excited about a lot of stuff, after that. BTW, drop everything you're doing now, get in your car, put it in gear, floor it, run every stop sign and red light, and grab every Tribute that you can for $70. That is truly a great find by anyone's standards. Heck, if the store owner raises the price by $50 on the spot...give it to him.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Perhaps it would be better to say that "most of what's worth plucking has been plucked." There are still treasures to be found, though you may have to hunt for them at estate sales, bowling alleys, etc. rather than at little corner liquor stores in shitty neighborhoods (where I've had some great dusty hunting success, by the way). If it's new to you, it's good for you. Buy it and enjoy!
    You have a way with words uncle. Enjoy I Shall!