Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

What should you start hoarding now?

In light of the Ten High debasement, it is time to start hoarding acceptable straight bourbons under $10.

You can set the price threshold at whatever works for you. Call it what you will: value bourbon, everyday bourbon, table bourbon.

It's cheap bourbon that doesn't suck.

Ten High, Very Old Barton, J.T.S. Brown, Heaven Hill (brand), Ancient Age, Old Crow, Old Taylor.

If you don't drink cheap bourbon, this alert isn't for you. But if you make your whiskey habit affordable in part by tipping a lot of your volume to one or several go-to bottom shelfers, it may be time to stock up.

Remember, this is the stuff you drink Monday-Friday so you can afford to drink Van Winkle on the weekend, so you're going to need a lot of it. A few cases of VOB BIB handles in the basement might save you hundreds of dollars down the road.

Trust me, your wife understands the concept of buying something you don't need in order to save money. She does it all the time.

Trippah and Admin

Re: What should you start hoarding now?

Time to make someone's day by grabbing a case of 750's of JTS Brown BiB. I'd get the handles, but they're plastic.

How about Kentucky Tavern 100?
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Wonder if this will hit any of BT's offerings? Maybe time to grab a few more bottles of Weller SR. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

whoa... I was confused by the multiple threads. This is obviously the thread for discussion of low cost hoarding...

The only "lower shelf" bourbons I would consider stocking up on are AAA10, VOB BIB and Weller SR, and then only if they were being changed or discontinued.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    whoa... I was confused by the multiple threads. This is obviously the thread for discussion of low cost hoarding...

The only "lower shelf" bourbons I would consider stocking up on are AAA10, VOB BIB and Weller SR, and then only if they were being changed or discontinued.
    There have been ominous rumors of 2 of those 3 going away. I hope it isn't true.

Advanced Taster

I have been trying to round up the EW with the 7yr statement for the under $10 range.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Pollito View Post
    There have been ominous rumors of 2 of those 3 going away. I hope it isn't true.
    Which two?
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Advanced Taster

I've been socking away some bottles of the Old Heaven Hill BIB with no age statement. It's tasty enough to drink straight, but at around $8 a bottle it's also fine for guests to mix with Coke or cook with.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by sotnsipper View Post

Which two?
    AAA10 - Low supplies in KY stores, BT says there is nothing to worry about
    VOB BIB - Many people are worried the Bonded label will go away, some have sworn they have seen 100 proof that is not bonded, but actually the "Bonded" lettering is really small.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post

I'm with you, Kick, on which three I'd hoard. I'd also add JTS Brown BIB to the list but it is not available where I live here in Chicagoland.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I'm with you, Kick, on which three I'd hoard. I'd also add JTS Brown BIB to the list but it is not available where I live here in Chicagoland.
    I have never had JTS Brown, but then I am not a big HH fan, so I don't feel like I am missing out.