Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What should you start hoarding now?

I should buy a 6 pack or so of VOB BIB. One of my favorite low price bourbons.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I've already put away a case or two of various low-cost bottles...it may be time to focus and get a few extras of my favs out of those...
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Every company is being affected and it's not so much that these products are going away as that they are likely to get significantly more expensive. If you go through a fair amount of, say, AAA, picking up a couple of cases now (assuming you have a place to put them) might save you a good bit of money down the road.

Chuck I noticed you posted similar in both threads, should we keep them both going and specify this is as assumed for those things that are going to go up in price and great values and the other thread for things more premium in nature - since I think that is the forum it is in? Or can one?

Working on the low cost idea here, I'm already too late to say Very Rare Old Heaven Hill (VROHH) 10 year BiB because it was confirmed to me that is gone. So for even a few dollars less I'd go with Evan Williams BiB, plain old white label. I think I paid $7.99 a bottle when I was in St Louis. If I had access to it I'd get a few cases because I am sure it's got to be close to being on the chopping block. Something tells me it will be younger by now if they do continue it, but I am sure it's still worth every 799 pennies!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

There was an existing "hoarding" thread under Premium Bourbons/Specialty Bottlings, but after I posted it there is occurred to me that the products in question are neither premium nor specialty, so I thought it might be better here.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I'm with you, Kick, on which three I'd hoard. I'd also add JTS Brown BIB to the list but it is not available where I live here in Chicagoland.
    I'm going to have to double check but it looked like they are doing a label change and the neck band of the Brown BIB. I looked at it for a minute and I'm pretty sure of what I saw.

Advanced Taster

I can't get much in my area for $10 or less except the new blended Ten High, or maybe Early Times. For a few bucks more depending where I go, I can get Evan Williams black, which is an ok bourbon IMO. This may be what I stock up on first when I get a chance.

I did stop at a store a few weeks back and saw(I think?) some JTS Brown for around $10, and also some Joshua Brook, but I have no experience with either of those. There was also an Old Charter 8yo for close to $10, but again, no experience with that one.

I am jealous of you guys that are able to get your hands on VOB BIB, Old Fitz, Heaven Hill BIB, or any bonded whiskey for near $10. Evan Williams black label is probably the best cheap whiskey I can get locally.

Eric

Joshua Brook is a non-distiller producer product. JTS Brown is a big favorite of mine, especially the BIB, and any Old Charter would be a good catch too, especially if it's around that $10 price point. Neither needs to be hoarded, but they're good value products.

Guru

Don't bother with Joshua Brook it's a stinker.
    ovh

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by OscarV View Post
    Don't bother with Joshua Brook it's a stinker.
    I didnt spend too much time looking at it. They had the "regular" version and an 8 year old. Nothing about either bottle impressed me much.

Eric