Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Guru

Closed and mothballed distilleries

http://www.whiskymag.com/directory/r.../distilleries/

A listing of U.S. distillers....of interest, some of the closed ones:

http://www.whiskymag.com/directory/d...led.13014.html

Majestic...mothballed since 1974...however, the company has an active website: http://www.majesticdistilling.com/
    I assume, like many other "distillers" the product comes from others.

http://www.majesticdistilling.com/bourbon.html
    > Classic Club and Setter.....I have no experience with either.

Tortuga Rum appears to be their main product.

Other closed plants....Astor, Belmont, Old Crow, Stitzel-Weller.
    I know some of the old buildings still stand...like the Kinsey site, is there any
    likely rehabbing of the locations for future distilling or have they been turned into other commercial uses...warehouses, office, mfg or torn up and zoned residential etc.? Or, like Kinsey, just sitting and slowly decaying?

Virtuoso

Re: Closed and mothballed distilleries

Old Grand-Dad and Stitzel-Weller are being used for warehousing. Beam is doing something at Old Crow; I've seen trucks there.

I haven't been by in the last few months, but Old Taylor was being torn down the last time I drove by there.

The warehouses for the Seagram's distillery in Shively have been converted for other use. These are beautiful brick warehouses with art deco accents.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    The warehouses for the Seagram's distillery in Shively have been converted for other use. These are beautiful brick warehouses with art deco accents.
    They are owned by a company that contracts out space for archived file storage. I wonder if the papers come out smelling of whisky?

Virtuoso

You know, I spoke to someone last week that works for that file storage company, and she said that it smelled a lot like whiskey before they got the ricks out. Now it doesn't.

I've been in one of them, in an area where offices had been built, but I didn't smell anything whiskey-like. I didn't get to look around because, as you can imagine, security is well-enforced at a company that sells security to their customers.

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    Old Grand-Dad and Stitzel-Weller are being used for warehousing. Beam is doing something at Old Crow; I've seen trucks there.

I haven't been by in the last few months, but Old Taylor was being torn down the last time I drove by there.

The Old Grand Dad faciltiy is still very active.No more distilling there,but we do warehouse,bottle and ship.

Beam still uses the Old Crow warehouses for barrel storage.

I've heard,but not sure on this.That the only buildings being torn down at Old Taylor are the ones that are beyond repair and that they are going to restore the castle at the front of the facility.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by trx450 View Post
    The Old Grand Dad faciltiy is still very active.No more distilling there,but we do warehouse,bottle and ship.
    "We". Sounds like we have a Beam person on board. Welcome. You'll hear no end of nice things said about Knob Creek and Old Grand-Dad (86 and BIB), and the occasional wish expressed that Beam Black would get its proof upped back to 90, both your rye whiskeys get pushed to 100 at least in a special bottling, etc.

Good place to be if you're curious as to what we think of what's inside any bottle.

Disciple

Beam still uses the Old Crow warehouses for barrel storage.

I've heard,but not sure on this.That the only buildings being torn down at Old Taylor are the ones that are beyond repair and that they are going to restore the castle at the front of the facility.
    Are there any hard rules as to what labels come from which facilities? Or are the batches so large at Beam that every label gets whisky from all facilities?

Is Beam using different yeasts or other factors to keep some of the old labels with their own profiles?

"
    We". Sounds like we have a Beam person on board. Welcome. You'll hear no end of nice things said about Knob Creek and Old Grand-Dad (86 and BIB), and the occasional wish expressed that Beam Black would get its proof upped back to 90, both your rye whiskeys get pushed to 100 at least in a special bottling, etc.
    Good place to be if you're curious as to what we think of what's inside any bottle.
    Thanks and glad to be here.Knob Creek is probably my favorite of all Beam distillates with Old Grand Dad 114 a close 2nd.
    Are there any hard rules as to what labels come from which facilities? Or are the batches so large at Beam that every label gets whisky from all facilities?

Is Beam using different yeasts or other factors to keep some of the old labels with their own profiles?
    I really don't know if they have any rules about which label is bottled at each plant,but i will say that all of the premium and more popular brands are bottled at Clermont...Bookers,Bakers,Knob Creek,Basil Hayden's,and pretty much all Beam labels.The Old Grand Dad location bottles most of the less expensive brands (Crow,Taylor,Old Overholt,Bourbon Deluxe,Canadian Club,Kessler, some Dekuyper travelers and many more vodkas, tequilla's etc etc) and deals with most of the imports( courvousier,Sauza,El Tesoro).The Cincy location is all Dekuyper as far as i know.

I really don't know much about the distilling process at Beam.I do know that all Beam distillates are distilled at Clermont and either warehoused/bottled there or shipped to Old Grand Dad to be warehoused/bottled there.
    Last edited by trx450; 01-20-2009 at 16:55.

Enthusiast

I really don't know much about the distilling process at Beam.I do know that all Beam distillates are distilled at Clermont and either warehoused/bottled there or shipped to Old Grand Dad to be warehoused/bottled there.
    Beam doesn't distill at Boston anymore?

Beam doesn't distill at Boston anymore?
    I forgot all about the Booker Noe distillery.All we ever hear about in Frankfort is Clermont.I really don't know which distillate comes from which distillery.