Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Dust and Snow - The Maine Chronicles.

Went skiing and dusty hunting yesterday...visited 5 stores and one mountain...skied for about 4 hours...beautiful fluffy powder stashes!!!
    No bourbon stashes, however. After visiting a multitude of stores in the past month and only scoring 6 dusties I'm getting a little discouraged. I think the liquor control state is huge factor and maybe a lot of the stores I'm visiting have had a recent overhaul and/or makeover and all of the old stock has been eradicated or re-located. I'm going to stick with it, but I'm trying to lower my expectations.
    When the wife & I returned home from our quest there was 8-10 inches of snow to deal with in the driveway which needed immediate attention. I skipped the end of the Cardinals/Eagles game to take care of this, dreaming all the while of the ER10/101 I would pour myself as a reward. The ER was fantastic, it's warming abilities were significant (thanks, Oscar!). Waking up this morning to find another 3 or so inches of powder in the driveway was okay, but I wish I could've played hooky again today to hit the slopes and the stores!
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Enthusiast

Re: Dust and Snow - The Maine Chronicles.

Interesting read, especially since I am sitting here in the backyard typing on my laptop wearing shorts, T-shirt and no shoes. I reckon it is in the upper 70s at the moment.

Enthusiast

We got a double-hit in North Central Massachusetts over the past two days. Everytime I get this place plowed it costs me another bottle of bourbon, and I've got a good deal at $35 a sweep for clean-up. But twice in a weekend just cost me nearly a bottle of Pappy!

BB

Guru

Hey Andy, we here in Mid-Michigan get the bad weather and the bad dusty hunting to.
    Tony AKA ACDetroit would argue this.
    He scores tons of great dusties in SE-Michigan and he likes to go snowmobiling.
    ovh

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MJL View Post
    Interesting read, especially since I am sitting here in the backyard typing on my laptop wearing shorts, T-shirt and no shoes. I reckon it is in the upper 70s at the moment.
    I hope a bird poops on your head.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Novice

Hey Northerners, I know your pain, having spent most of my life in upstate NY. Just remember that while we Floridians are laughing now, you can bet we won't gloating so much during the 5 months of sweltering hell we face from May through September. I've been living in Tampa for 10 years, and you never get used to the heat.

Tonight we have a tornado watch...nice.

Funknik, me and the wife head up to Portland every year. We spend a couple of nights in Portland before heading up to Brunswick to see the parents. Portland's all about the beer for me. The Great Lost Bear the place I go to get my microbrew fix.

Tampa is a horrible place for bourbon fans. I am a newbie, but down here I haven't seen most of the bourbons that everyone here considers top notch. But, I keep trying everything I can find. Fortunately, my wife's cousin in Chicago brought me a bottle of Lot B last week. Actually, a Google search of that bottle brought me to this site. I spent all weekend reading old posts and learning a lot.

Matt

Guru

Welcome Matt. It snowed today so that sucked. I wish for warm weather right now.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCatMatt View Post
    Hey Northerners, I know your pain, having spent most of my life in upstate NY. Just remember that while we Floridians are laughing now, you can bet we won't gloating so much during the 5 months of sweltering hell we face from May through September. I've been living in Tampa for 10 years, and you never get used to the heat.

Tonight we have a tornado watch...nice.

Funknik, me and the wife head up to Portland every year. We spend a couple of nights in Portland before heading up to Brunswick to see the parents. Portland's all about the beer for me. The Great Lost Bear the place I go to get my microbrew fix.

Tampa is a horrible place for bourbon fans. I am a newbie, but down here I haven't seen most of the bourbons that everyone here considers top notch. But, I keep trying everything I can find. Fortunately, my wife's cousin in Chicago brought me a bottle of Lot B last week. Actually, a Google search of that bottle brought me to this site. I spent all weekend reading old posts and learning a lot.

Matt
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by BigCatMatt View Post
    Hey Matt, welcome to the board. GBL is a good spot...next time you're up let me know and I'll have you and the wife over for dinner and tasting.

peace.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Novice

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the invite. I'll let you know when we make plans.

Matt

Disciple

This is the equation one might use to correlate the hot summers in Ohio and Florida:

Ohio steel mill in July = HOT = Florida summer vacation

My version of the equation is as follow:

HOT = Florida summer vacation > Ohio steel mill in July.

Bring on the summer heat in Florida. I get to hang in the pool with a drink in my hand, something not genereally available in the local steel mill!

Thomas