Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Malt Advocate Slams Old Forester Repeal

RATING = 79

John Hansell: "This bourbon is a nice change of pace and I understand the reason behind this WHISKY to emulate bourbons from the era of Repeal, but I prefer the Old Forester Signature 100 proof to this WHISKEY. I'm happy drinking WHISKEYS of today, thank you."

-------

So, is it WHISKY OR WHISKEY?!?

BB

PS. I'll say a prayer and forward this to the New York Times.

Guru

Re: Malt Advocate Slams Old Forester Repeal

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    RATING = 79

John Hansell: "This bourbon is a nice change of pace and I understand the reason behind this WHISKY to emulate bourbons from the era of Repeal, but I prefer the Old Forester Signature 100 proof to this WHISKEY. I'm happy drinking WHISKEYS of today, thank you."

-------

So, is it WHISKY OR WHISKEY?!?

BB

PS. I'll say a prayer and forward this to the New York Times.
    Re: the spelling

My biggest beef with OFR is that it is much too expensive for what it is: a half a bottle with a bunch of cheesy packaging and a glass. As St. Jerome once said, "Woopty friggin' doo". I'd not only pick OFSig over that stuff but I'd pick the 86 proof in a plastic bottle over it. I've only seen it in a store once, and it was $45. I've heard that it was usually closer to $25, but why should I pay that for it when I can get a full bottle of Sig or close to 2 bottles of the regular OF for that price. I already have glassware, thanks.

I can deal with the marketing chananagins and questionable historical claims some companies make, but I get pissed off when I feel like someone is trying to screw me out of my (mostly my wife's) hard-earned money. I really love OF, but this Repeal thing gets me steamed.

Sorry, stressful week.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Enthusiast

I can concur with the price & packaging scenario. Pricey, and it would be nicer at $12-15 per 375ml without the glass. Inasmuch as it is taking a hit I gravitated to its complexity and flavors, albeit the acetone. And the first bottle I had - had great texture... I'll be first to admit that it's not for everyone. Signature is definitely more definitive in terms of structure, fundamentally - but I like what Chris Morris came up with altogether. It was well-planned and executed. BB

Guru

I can concur with the price & packaging scenario. Pricey, and it would be nicer at $12-15 per 375ml ...
    Saw it down in Peoria for 14.89 or 14.99. Still didn't pull the trigger.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    Saw it down in Peoria for 14.89 or 14.99. Still didn't pull the trigger.
    Wow. $25 out here in MA & NH.

BB

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

At Costco liquor stores (which are new for us in Texas, actually attached outside to store and not owned by Costco), these are $19.99. I tried at Randy's during our Houston SB get together and really enjoyed it. I picked up a 2nd one this week.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    At Costco liquor stores (which are new for us in Texas, actually attached outside to store and not owned by Costco), these are $19.99. I tried at Randy's during our Houston SB get together and really enjoyed it. I picked up a 2nd one this week.
    It's definitely more an acquired taste because it's fiery bourbon. I've recently had the Beam Distiller's 7 Year which could have posed as their Repeal Bourbon, similar characteristics. I happen to love the stuff... it's a break away from the super-refined juice with serious bravado. Too expensive out here though... BB

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I noticed the Beam Distiller's 7 Year at Binny's the other day, right next to and at the exact same price as Jim Beam Black Label. I think it was $23.99.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I noticed the Beam Distiller's 7 Year at Binny's the other day, right next to and at the exact same price as Jim Beam Black Label. I think it was $23.99.
    Chuck, it has turned into being one of my favorite pours and at a reasonable price-point. But I can't get it out here... I'm going to speak with Ryan at Julio's to see what he can do.

BB

Advanced Taster

It's definitely more an acquired taste because it's fiery bourbon.
    Definitely a fiery bourbon. It is a little rougher around the edges than the Sig. Still a good bourbon. I put a little water in it and it was even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Re: the spelling

My biggest beef with OFR is that it is much too expensive for what it is: a half a bottle with a bunch of cheesy packaging and a glass. As St. Jerome once said, "Woopty friggin' doo". I'd not only pick OFSig over that stuff but I'd pick the 86 proof in a plastic bottle over it. I've only seen it in a store once, and it was $45. I've heard that it was usually closer to $25, but why should I pay that for it when I can get a full bottle of Sig or close to 2 bottles of the regular OF for that price. I already have glassware, thanks.

Sorry, stressful week.
    It was more of a commemorative bottling than anything. I don't know of anyone that rushed out to the store just to buy this just for the small bottle of booze. I did buy one to try and one for keeping. They were only $25 a piece. I have heard they were as low as $15 but not anywhere around here. OFSig is most definitely a better bourbon for the price, but it is not a collectible. Sorry bout the stressful week. A good glass of bourbon should take care of that .
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.