Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

LeNell's is closing, next Friday.

LeNell's is a small, idiosyncratic (and bourbon-friendly) liquor store in the Red Hook section of Brooklyn. The proprietor, Tonya LeNell Smothers, used to be an active participant on this site and still has many friends here.

She is closing at her present location next Friday, 2/20, and does not have a new spot. She is actively looking for one and promises to reopen, but she can't predict when that will be.

There is more on my blog, here.

And on her web site, here.

Oh, and she also raises chickens, in Brooklyn, so says The New York Times.

Re: LeNell's is closing, next Friday.

Although I have never dealt with LeNell, I know what a great store she has and what a fantastic range of Bourbon she has there. Sad news for the people of Brooklyn......

Good luck with finding somewhere LeNell, I hope everything works out for you!

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Virtuoso

Sad to hear this. I was planning on visiting there this spring. I understand that LeNell is quite a character. I wish her the best of luck and hope she's back up and running soon.

Cheers!

Enthusiast

Just a few weeks ago I had the pleasure of tasting my first glass of Red Hook Rye. It was tasty, I hope LeNell finds a new home soon.

Quote Originally Posted by RedVette View Post
    Just a few weeks ago I had the pleasure of tasting my first glass of Red Hook Rye. It was tasty, I hope LeNell finds a new home soon.
    I only recently tried LeNell's Red Hook Rye at a friends bar here in Brisbane. It was truly sublime! Just goes to show people all over the world know about her....
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I wanted to see the store on my trip to New York, but sadly ran out of time. I truely hope she finds a new location soon.

Enthusiast

Please please please please reopen in Nassau County.
    We set out as men of reason, armed with Navy Colts.

Australia needs a store like LeNell's! The weather is great down here LeNell....

I went to the bar today I mentioned earlier and after my Mint Julep I had some Red Hook Rye....LeNell wherever you end up, just keep up the great work!

Scott

Guru

I remember LeNell from when she had a solid presence in this forum. What a wonderful person! I miss her. I wish her well in whatever her circumstances lead her to. Knowing her, I am pretty sure she will make it so.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Taster

Lenell's became a must go to plac when in NY the past few years.

Interesting, in Boston, there is a new bar called Drink. They do not show bottles but instead ask what type of liquor you prefer and suggest various combinations.

Our bartender, Mmisty, was excellent. Although I usually stick to bourbon neat or with 1-2 cubes. She made me a couple of wonderful mixed drinks. The Frisco - Bourbon, B&B and lemon and the Hague - bourbon, dry vermouth and chartreuse.

As we are talking to Misty, she told us that she was going to NY as a friend was closing a liquor store. Turns out she is good friends with LeNell. Two days later I got LeNells email saying she was closing.

Good to find a good bartender bur sad about LeNell's store.