I just returned from an outing where I had occasion to temporize in the bar of a nearby restaurant for a while.

I couldn't spot anything on the American whiskey shelf that I hadn't already tried; so I picked an unfamiliar dram from the top shelf of scotch. I picked Lagavulin 16 (if I read the label right; it could have been 18). I think I now know what peat tastes like.

At first sip I wasn't sure that I could finish it; fortunately I had had the foresight to order water back. My meeting got underway before I had made a dent in my drink, and at $8 a shot, leaving it behind was not an option. I ended up nursing the drink for about an hour, while listening to a guy explain why my investments are worth less today than they were three years before I retired in 1998.

Over the course of that hour a curious thing happened. I can't say that I came to like it, but I certainly began to dislike it less -- much less. Now, an hour later, with the finish still lingering, I find myself wanting to try it again. I'm wondering whether my Laphroig (sp?), as yet unopened, will have a similar taste.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield