Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Tennessee vs. Bourbon

I swear by the Dickel No.12, although it has a distinct grain flavor that I get to a much lesser degree in bourbons. Both TN whiskies have a high corn mashbill with very little rye, so they are less balanced than many bourbons -- also, they seem to have much less of a barrel presence in the finish than most bourbons. JD has a little more barrel than GD to me, but that's not enough to recommend it -- the proof is too low and the price is too high. Even Dickel No.8 is better than JD Black for half the price. I would offer that none of the TN whiskies I've had are especially complex (maybe due to the virtual lack of flavor grain), but they are pretty easy drinking. The closest TN/Bourbon comparison I can think of would be GD12 vs. WLW SR -- they remind me very much of each other.....the bottom line is there is much more variety in bourbon than TN whiskey, so it can't hurt to find a TN you like and just keep it around.
    Last edited by funknik; 02-19-2009 at 07:33.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    I swear by the Dickel No.12......the bottom line is there is much more variety in bourbon than TN whiskey, so it can't hurt to find a TN you like and just keep it around.

I agree 100% with funknik on this.
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Advanced Taster

I don't care for JD or Gentlemans Jack, but I really like JD Single Barrel. I really need to try Dickel.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by sotnsipper View Post

I tend to steer away from JD altogether. In my opinion, it is overpriced and under proofed.!
    JD -- the proof is too low and the price is too high.

We had to be typing at the same time.
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Taster

Talking Re: Tennessee vs. Bourbon

GD #12 one of my favorite pours. I did 2 nights of tastings last year 25 + people each night ,and by a show of hands GD12 came out on top. The other 3 pours were, weller antique 107, saz rye jr and Old Grand Dad 114.

Novice

Thanks everyone. Let the journey begin!!!!!

Taster

you have to try JD single barrel. One of my favorites. But the Dickel Barrel Select is the best overall. The JD Single Barrel is 94 proof and the Barrel Select is 86. Gentlemen Jack is smooth with no taste. They filter it through charcoal twice and I think it destroys the flavor. Anyway, I a novice at Bourbon. I use to sneak my dad's Old Grand Dad when I was a Kid. But other than that I like Maker's Mark.

Guru

I think there is a taste difference between TN's as a group and Bourbons. TN Whiskey is smoother, has more char and maple in the nose and on the tongue. Bourbon is more complex and in most circumstances is hotter.

But that said, I like them both. Haven't had JD in a long time but I am a fan of GD, esp. the Barrel Select. Great stuff.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Since I happen to be drinking GD No. 12 tonight, and I occasionally drink JD Single barrel, I'll weigh in here.

sotnsipper and funknik's posts are dead on.

I will add, if it hasn't been said already, GD No.12 is more bourbony. Jack has more soot and a bit more maple. Jack also has that banana thing going on where GD dose not.

A new palette may confuse George Dickel with bourbon but it would be a lot harder to confuse Jack Daniel's with bourbon.

Virtuoso

I swear by the Dickel No.12, although it has a distinct grain flavor that I get to a much lesser degree in bourbons. Both TN whiskies have a high corn mashbill with very little rye, so they are less balanced than many bourbons -- also, they seem to have much less of a barrel presence in the finish than most bourbons. JD has a little more barrel than GD to me, but that's not enough to recommend it -- the proof is too low and the price is too high. Even Dickel No.8 is better than JD Black for half the price. I would offer that none of the TN whiskies I've had are especially complex (maybe due to the virtual lack of flavor grain), but they are pretty easy drinking. The closest TN/Bourbon comparison I can think of would be GD12 vs. WLW SR -- they remind me very much of each other.....the bottom line is there is much more variety in bourbon than TN whiskey, so it can't hurt to find a TN you like and just keep it around.
    This is dead on to my take.... especially the easy drinking part... very soft to the palate...
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"