Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BOTM 2/09: Hancock's Reserve

I believe this may be the last of the Single Barrel Bourbons from Buffalo Trace to make it to the BOTM and probably not just as a coincidence it gets discussed the least. Originally introduced as Hancock's President's Reserve now known as just Hancock's Reserve is this month's BOTM.

Known for it's tropical like flavors, mango comes to mind, and slight honey molasses sweetness while probably not a top ten this is one of my favorite pours.

It is a short month and we're getting this up here late so that is quite apropos to a hardly discussed but very worthy bourbon.

Sound Off
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Re: BOTM 2/09: Hancock's Reserve

Well I recently got a bottle of this, as you would know as you posted it to me, and you have just given me the push to open it.
    I will post my thoughts when I have done so.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Connoisseur

It's expensive here in MI, about $50. I had a glass just one in a restaurant a couple months ago and found it very enjoyable, but haven't been willing to put out the money for a whole bottle.
    Craig

Apprentice

Glad to see a BOTM. I try to track down a bottle. BT never disapoints.

Guru

Christian, it's always a short month when the BOTM discussion starts mid-month.
    ovh

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    It's expensive here in MI, about $50. I haven't been willing to put out the money for a whole bottle.

It is about the same price in TN. It is outside my price range for a bottle. Being it is the BOTM, I may have to budge a little....
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

A couple of thoughts, on this one:

Firstly, I am ashamed to admit that I received my first and only bottle of this as a birthday present from my parents some 16-17 yrs ago, but never drank a drop of it straight. Mixed the whole damn thing with Sprite...Yes, I suck.

Secondly, can anyone confirm that BT actually lowered the price on this a couple of years ago? Word was, that they were going to drop the price into the upper $20's. I don't think I've seen that price, yet.

Thirdly, this is one bourbon that is hard to find. I don't see it much.

Finally, I am going to hunt this one down, and try it...again. If I have to pay $40+, so be it.

P.S. I can remember my mom saying that the reason they bought this bourbon for me, was the impressive packaging. Looking back, it was kinda like an early version of WT Tribute.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Haven't seen this one at my usual haunts for a long time (I'd guess a year or more.) My suspicion is because of lack of sales.

HPR always seemed to be an odd duck to me. It didn't seem to have a logical place in the BT line-up; certainly not at it's premium price. Not a bad pour; just nothing to distinguish it. I've always smiled at it's 88.9 proof ---- did someone (in marketing perhaps) decide that 89 proof was too high?

If I get the chance I may search further afield. If, as some report, the price has come down, I'd give it a revisit.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Disciple

Liquor Barn in Lexington had more than I am sure they knew what to do with last time I was there (October). It looked like they had a private bottling of it (odd choice). They had cases of it sitting everywhere.

-bk
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Secondly, can anyone confirm that BT actually lowered the price on this a couple of years ago? Word was, that they were going to drop the price into the upper $20's. I don't think I've seen that price, yet.
    I seem to recall it was in the $30s last time I was in the Chicago area - either at Sams or Binnys.
    Craig