Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Heading to Louisville help me plan bourbon crawl

Hi Guys, The middle of May I'll be going to the Louisville area for a week. My plan is to go generally east from there out to the coast then back for the flight return to Reno. I'm pretty excited as I've never been east before. Anyway,

If you have any suggestions of a place or two I must hit on my adventure please let me know. I may be traveling with some libations and will certainly be thirsty- if anybody wants to meet and show me a favorite bourbon spot I'd be up for it.

I mostly kinda lurk here, but would post more if I had anything exciting to say- Tho I did just sell a bottle of Hirsch 20 on ebay to help finance this trip... cool huh? Tho I in hindsite might end up missing the bottle (and I'll see you in the support group when my last bottle is gone... ;-)

Cheers,
    RW

Disciple

Re: Heading to Louisville help me plan bourbon crawl

Sounds like a fun trip.

The new and old distilleries in Louisville are very interesting. Bardstown...just south of Louisville has some other great bourbon sites to see. On your way east from there...Lawrenceburg should be your next stop.

Have a great time.

Jeff Mo.

Guru

Hey RW, that's quite an itinerary, what is your East Coast destination?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Hey RW, that's quite an itinerary, what is your East Coast destination?
    SO far, I fly into Louisville on Tue eve the 12th of May, then figure on Wed to hit Bardstown and Lawrenceburg or like that. Then over to wherever... The only two definites are Saturday & Sunday in the Lynchburg VA area for a bike ride, and then Tuesday back in Louisville for the return flight to Reno.

Maybe you can suggest a good east coast spot to land for a time? I really want to dip my feet in the other side of the ocean ;-) I've never seen the sunrise on water, only sunset...

Enthusiast

I recently made my first visit to bourbon country and I thought our itinerary was perfect: Jim Beam in Shepherdsville (movie and self guided tour), Heaven Hill (movie and limited guided tour), then out into the boondocks for Makers Mark, no movie but full guided tour. Each place offered a tasting too.

Guru

They're some great places but only if you're flying. Just for the sunrise and some good food Virginia Beach, Hilton Head or Tybee Island East of Savannah.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Two words: "Bambi Walk."

Typically you start at the Phoenix Hill Tavern on Baxter Avenue, then proceed into the Highlands, stopping at every bar that seems interesting. Baxter turns into Bardstown Road. You just continue until you get to the Bambi Bar, where you have a burger. It can also be done in reverse.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Two words: "Bambi Walk."

Typically you start at the Phoenix Hill Tavern on Baxter Avenue, then proceed into the Highlands, stopping at every bar that seems interesting. Baxter turns into Bardstown Road. You just continue until you get to the Bambi Bar, where you have a burger. It can also be done in reverse.
    This sounds veeery interesting. I'll have to look into it. It's in old town Louisville?

Disciple

Having done most of the distillery tours in KY, I would suggest you do whatever it takes to get on the Buffalo Trace hard hat tour. By far the best tour I have been on and you see all aspects of the bottling process.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    Having done most of the distillery tours in KY, I would suggest you do whatever it takes to get on the Buffalo Trace hard hat tour.

I agree with Kickert! You can also see the small batch and single bottle bottling hall, where everything is done by hand. Call ahead for the hard hat tour. They are now given at 10:30 am and 1:30 pm M-F. I'm a tour guide there, so ask for Fred. I'd like to meet you, if I'll be working the day you're there. We are in Frankfort.
    Fred