Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Apprentice

Re: Russell's Reserve Returns In Alabama

I picked up some Buffalo Trace ($24) in Auburn last week...OF Birthday($36) is there as well...

Billy

Disciple

I have had the RR90 on three separate occasions now and do not get the appeal. It has neither the sweetness nor the heat that I like in the 101, none of the leather/herbal character I enjoy from the Rare Breed and almost no wood flavor which is surprising considering it claims to be 10yrs old. It just tastes like a bitter, watered down, WTRye101 to me -- in fact rye is all I can taste. The nose promises a lot more than the taste delivers -- I think RB or 101 are better bang for your buck purchases than this and, honestly, as a fan of the Turkey I am more than a little disappointed -- I was excited to get a WT product with an age statement (and a good age), but I see myself having to choke this bottle down.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by funknik View Post
    I have had the RR90 on three separate occasions now and do not get the appeal. It has neither the sweetness nor the heat that I like in the 101, none of the leather/herbal character I enjoy from the Rare Breed and almost no wood flavor which is surprising considering it claims to be 10yrs old. It just tastes like a bitter, watered down, WTRye101 to me -- in fact rye is all I can taste. The nose promises a lot more than the taste delivers -- I think RB or 101 are better bang for your buck purchases than this and, honestly, as a fan of the Turkey I am more than a little disappointed -- I was excited to get a WT product with an age statement (and a good age), but I see myself having to choke this bottle down.
    I considered the RR 90 a decent "starter" when I'm trying 3 or 4 bottles, but it didn't fare too well at our tasting last Friday night. Of the three 90 proofs, it came in third behind BT and WLWSR.

Connoisseur

Normaly when I open a bottle for the first time the first pour doesn't do it justice but after sometime on the shelf it comes around. I know from reading that many of you feel the same way. Well my bottle of RR 90 started the same way then came around but now the bottle is half way gone and all the flavor is gone and it just tastes watered down and cheap. The bottle has only been opened for maybe 2 months. This is the first time that I have experienced anything like this. Anyone else have this happen with RR.

Guru

Yeah, what is it about RR90?
    It doesn't taste like RR101 just cut to 90.
    ovh

Taster

finding the Russell's Reserve Rye is difficult.
    "Mama wanted me to be a preacher. I told her coachin' and preachin' were alot alike." Paul Bryant