Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Virtuoso

Rittenhouse Rye BIB in KY

So I have been looking for Rittenhouse Rye BIB for about the last 2 months. I have visited or called every store in my area (BG, KY). I kept getting promises that they would order it, but it never turned up.

Today I got some troubling news. My regular store told me it was being discontinued. I panicked at first. Ritt BIB is my favorite rye and easily one of the best values in whiskey. So I called HH direct. They told me not to worry, the 80 proof and BIB are still safe, but the 23 year old got axed.

So I called the KY distributor. They said they are sold out of the Ritt BIB and the earliest they could get it would be the 24th, but in reality, it could be much later before HH actually delivers it.

I thought you all might be interested. I have feared for awhile that it could be cut or the price hiked up. Right now it looks like it is safe, but who knows about the price.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Virtuoso

Re: Rittenhouse Rye BIB in KY

The price has been steadily creeping up. I think I paid $17 for my last bottle.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    The price has been steadily creeping up. I think I paid $17 for my last bottle.
    I paid >$20 for my first bottle several years ago, $24 for my last bottle a month ago. I may be going with WT Rye for the same price and better availability.
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Disciple

Hey DeanSheen, Whereabouts in Canton is Rittenhouse BIB available? Canton is my local turf (at least while I'm at work). I'll go and rescue whatever is there if anyone wants some!

Thomas

Disciple

I think it's this one.

S/SX 801 DBA OAKWOOD SQ WINE & SPIRITS J DAVIES, INC.
    2658 EASTON STREET N.E. STARK JEFFREY DAVIES, PRES.
    CANTON, OH 44721
    330/492-1436 PERMIT NBR 1950735 03-11-05
    ** 10:00 7:00

Disciple

I'll check it out tommorrow. This isn't the primary store I deal with but it does have some good stuff show up out of the blue. I recently got a Jim Beam distillers edition bottle here and it was the only place to get any Russells Reserve Rye in this area. I'll let you know what I find!

Thomas

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSheen View Post
    I think it's this one.

S/SX 801 DBA OAKWOOD SQ WINE & SPIRITS J DAVIES, INC.
    2658 EASTON STREET N.E. STARK JEFFREY DAVIES, PRES.
    CANTON, OH 44721
    330/492-1436 PERMIT NBR 1950735 03-11-05
    ** 10:00 7:00

I just got back from a trip to North Canton and back and, well...they're all out of Rittenhouse BIB now.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Disciple

Did you get a reaction like: Man that stuff has been sitting here for months. or I better order up some more of this stuff etc?

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    I just got back from a trip to North Canton and back and, well...they're all out of Rittenhouse BIB now.

Trippah and Admin

As I hauled it to the counter in two trips, I was greeted with "Did you get some for Christmas?" from the lady behind the register.

Wha?

She explained that they had special ordered a case for a woman who wanted to surprise her nephew at Christmas. Since the entire case of 12 wasn't purchased, the remainder was put on the shelf.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Funny they would say the 23-year-old was being "discontinued," as I always assumed it was a one-off. I know the 23 was from the same inventory as the 21, they just left it in wood a little longer. I wonder if they had more of that, in stainless perhaps, or if they had (and still have) more in the pipeline.

I commend Heaven Hill and any other producer who goes out on a limb and tests the limits of this category, but I think they found those extra-aged Rittenhouses, especially the 23, were a bit too expensive. If they do have more of that whiskey, I wonder what they'll do with it?

There has been some talk that the next release in the Parker's Heritage Collection will be a rye.

As for the regular Rittenhouse, supplies are tight and the price will inevitably rise, but I doubt the product itself is in any jeopardy. Just the opposite, as it has been a real winner for them. The fact that stores have trouble keeping it in stock is a good thing.
    Last edited by cowdery; 02-21-2009 at 16:11.