Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Rittenhouse Rye BIB in KY

I got inspired to try out the SB proof calculator today. I just took this down to 90 with my wife laughing at me.

Anyways, I'm now getting some green apple and toffee. I def. like it better this way although I will have to follow this up with a straight pour and test the breathing concept out. Reason being, this bottle has been sitting about 1/3 gone for a couple weeks and now I'm curious.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Was she laughing because she thought you were a weeny for cutting the proof, or because she thought you were a nerd for using the calculator?

Or was it because she's your wife and everything you do that doesn't amuse her infuriates her, so laughing is good?

Disciple

I think it was pretty much B: "she thought you were a nerd for using the calculator?"

She is used to my hobby inspired eccentricities but sometimes they still amuse her.

It's better when she's amused and laughing at me than watching her eyes glaze over while being the recipient of some long winded explanation on minutia that only the obsessed care about.

Kinda like this one!

I recently learned that current Rittenhouse Rye is based on an old Brown-Forman recipe for a straight rye they sold many years ago. I forget the name, because it was unknown to me when I heard it. On the one hand, there was no effort on either BF's part or Heaven Hill's to duplicate the original Rittenhouse, but at least this recipe has its own historical pedigree.

Disciple

The question is, when did the "new" bottlings start?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I recently learned that current Rittenhouse Rye is based on an old Brown-Forman recipe for a straight rye they sold many years ago. I forget the name, because it was unknown to me when I heard it.
    Can you ask again? I, for one, would like to know.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

The pattern followed that of many.

Rittenhouse Rye was, I believe, originally a Publicker brand. Rittenhouse Square and the Rittenhouse Hotel are Philadelphia institutions. The square received its name in 1825, in honor of the astronomer-clockmaker, David Rittenhouse.

In the early 1980s (I don't know exactly when), Publicker stopped distilling but continued as a non-distiller producer, contracting with Heaven Hill to make the product. After a few years of that, Publicker sold Heaven Hill the brand and exited the business. Heaven Hill made it at its Bardstown distillery, using its own rye recipe that it had made since the distillery's founding after Prohibition. That continued until that distillery was destroyed by fire in November of 1996. That's when it began to be made by Brown-Forman at its Shively distillery (DSP 354), where it continues to be made on Heaven Hill's behalf.

The rising popularity of Rittenhouse Rye has all happened since the BF-made product was introduced, but most of that may be coincidence.
    Last edited by cowdery; 03-19-2009 at 13:29.

Disciple

I think what Joe was getting at, and what I'd like to know, is what that BF rye with the historical pedigree was called. Thanks, Chuck.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

I know. I'm working on it.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I know. I'm working on it.
    That's why you're the man, Cpt. Cowdery!

As a side note, I'm pleased to learn that BF distills Rittenhouse as that would mark the first product by them that I really enjoy.
    Last edited by funknik; 03-19-2009 at 14:09.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy