Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Wink Dating a Canadian

No this is not about courting the female species of our neighbors up north. I'm trying to get clarity surrounding the dates printed on vintage bottles of Canadian whisky.

It's nice that there are even dates printed clearly on the tax strips of these bottles, but as I had read on some other posts, the year listed may indicate the date of distillation and not the bottling year. Is this so? I couldn't find a definitive answer, so I am asking this question directly.

Any help is most appreciated.
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Guru

Re: Dating a Canadian

Quote Originally Posted by jinenjo View Post
    No this is not about courting the female species of our neighbors up north. I'm trying to get clarity surrounding the dates printed on vintage bottles of Canadian whisky.

It's nice that there are even dates printed clearly on the tax strips of these bottles, but as I had read on some other posts, the year listed may indicate the date of distillation and not the bottling year. Is this so? I couldn't find a definitive answer, so I am asking this question directly.

Any help is most appreciated.
    Shucks. I was all set to tell you about my big crush on Anne Murray back in the 1970s.

Seriously, where's Gillman these days? Your question is the sort he loves.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I think it goes like this:

If you want to live forever, date a Canadian. You won't live forever, but it will seem like forever.

Except Anne Murray, of course.

Disciple

On Canadian whisky tax stamps, thr year listed on the stamp is the year of distillation. Take the stated age of the whisky and project out from the year on the stamp to arrive at the year it was bottled!

Thomas

Enthusiast

Thanks, Thomas. What if it is NAS? Like American bottles, do markings on the bottom indicate when it was bottled?
    -Ernest Tubb

Disciple

More than likely, the bottle marking will indicate closely when the whiskey was actually bottled. I have a bottle of Bush Pilot 13 Canadian that was only on the market a short time in the US before a lawsuit halted its distribution. It was bottled in 1995 and after finding a bottle a few years back, The tax stamp had 1982 marked on it. Years ago and despite having no official age statement, Crown Royal was averaging a 12yr age. The bottles would show up at retail and the tax stamp on them had a year that was just over 12 years earlier!

Thomas

Enthusiast

So, in a way, this practice was not unlike bonded whiskey, where the spirit inside the bottle is known to have come from a single distillation season. Of course, we're talking blended whisky here. Meaning, it's not all a single distillate from the same year.
    -Ernest Tubb

Enthusiast

I want to revisit this. Recently, I've been getting more into Canadian whisky and have been enjoying them tremedously. They've been dusty bottles (of course ).

Today I picked up Canadian Masterpiece...delicious, BTW. I'd also like to clear up what is in the bottle. When I had researched this a while ago, Gillman was wondering if this had some bourbon in it. It certainly does not. The back label states how it is a blend of six Canadian whiskies: Gimli, New Westminster, Waterloo, Annherstburn, Beaupre, and Montreal. It goes on further to say, "After maturing for many years these whiskies are skillfully blended under [our master blender's] personal supervision and slowly married to create this Masterpiece..."

The date on the strip is 1962. I'm still unclear about Canadian blends. Does this date include the ages of any or all GNS? Also, 1962 indicates that was when the oldest whiskey going into this blend was distilled, no?
    Last edited by jinenjo; 03-26-2009 at 21:58.
    -Ernest Tubb

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The date should be the youngest whiskey, not the oldest.

They probably wouldn't disclose any foreign spirits it contains.

Quote Originally Posted by jinenjo View Post
    I want to revisit this. Recently, I've been getting more into Canadian whisky and have been enjoying them tremedously. They've been dusty bottles (of course ).

Today I picked up Canadian Masterpiece...delicious, BTW. I'd also like to clear up what is in the bottle. When I had researched this a while ago, Gillman was wondering if this had some bourbon in it. It certainly does not. The back label states how it is a blend of six Canadian whiskies: Gimli, New Westminster, Waterloo, Annherstburn, Beaupre, and Montreal. It goes on further to say, "After maturing for many years these whiskies are skillfully blended under [our master blender's] personal supervision and slowly married to create this Masterpiece..."

The date on the strip is 1962. I'm still unclear about Canadian blends. Does this date include the ages of any or all GNS? Also, 1962 indicates that was when the oldest whiskey going into this blend was distilled, no?
    This is great to hear! I have a bottle dated 1961 in its original packaging, the red silk lined box. Can't wait to drink it, on it's 50th Birthday, 2011. Only a couple years to go!
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.