Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Red Stag by Jim Beam.

I can confirm what Tom said. June 1 is the official release date.

On the rocks with a healthy splash of Stirrings Blood Orange Bitters, it's a tasty drink.

This is aimed at the flavored vodka crowd, the "I'll try anything" crowd, and the "cocktail creation is my life" crowd. It is not intended for most of the people here.

For your continued edifcation, the Red Stag side label.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Something that occurred to me. The ultimate infusion is barrel aging itself.

Advanced Taster

I'm interested in trying this so I have been keeping an eye out for it. I know it has a June release date but I thought maybe a little of it might be released early. Most of the retailers I have asked don't seem to have a clue about it.

Has anyone seen Red Stag on the shelf yet?
    Jeff

Give me Bourbon or give me death! ~ Hondo (1982)

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Has anyone seen Red Stag on the shelf yet?
    I saw Red Stag on the shelf yesterday -- my local grocery store got ri(1), Beam Rye & Red Stag for the first time this week.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Taster

"Black cherry is my favorite Life Saver flavor, so I like Red Stag. Although not classed as a liqueur, it put me in mind of Wild Turkey’s American Honey. It is not a similar flavor, but the same kind of beast, and probably something you would drink on the same kind of occasion.

Finlay’s letter also says, “Red Stag is created though a unique, artisanal, natural infusion process where black cherry flavors are slowly and carefully infused into our fine, four year old bourbon.”

Considering the strict standards governing what constitutes bourbon and its ingredients; won't Beam have to change their label to classify it as a liqueur?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by JMac72 View Post

Finlay’s letter also says, “Red Stag is created though a unique, artisanal, natural infusion process where black cherry flavors are slowly and carefully infused into our fine, four year old bourbon.”

Considering the strict standards governing what constitutes bourbon and its ingredients; won't Beam have to change their label to classify it as a liqueur?
    They are not calling it a bourbon, they are saying they have infused flavor into their bourbon.... thus creating a new product.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Taster

Howdy,

How about making Red Stag a BOM this year?

Eggman

Advanced Taster

I noticed Red Stag in my local liquor store on Friday and I wanted to give a go, however I didn’t want to buy 750 ml's because I really didn’t think I would care much for it. So I they had some mini's so I grabbed two on the way out the door.

I was out for the weekend of camping with family and friends none of which really care too much for bourbon. Yea, I don't understand it either. So I drank the first mini neat and liked it. Then I mixed the other with some diet coke and it made a nice drink as well. A couple of people that were close to me got a whiff of it and asked me about it.

The next day I stopped by a liquor store and get a 750 ml bottle to take back to camp. It was a hit with the whole gang, and several people then were willing to try some of my other bourbon's that I had on hand. I had a WLWSR and VOB Bonded as well as a Buffalo Trace and some of them liked these too but had never really tasted bourbon.

Beam may actually be on to something here that interested people in bourbon that are not normally attracted to it.

For me personally, I'll keep some on hand. It won't replace any of my favorites but it was nice for a change and it was pleasant in diet coke if I want to mix something.

Good job JB!
    Jeff

Give me Bourbon or give me death! ~ Hondo (1982)

Novice

Surprise, surprise, it's available here in Ohio, now. My husband saw it in several of his accounts (he's a beer & wine rep) and wondered what the story was. I knew I'd find it here! Thanks, Chuck, for the always very considered opinion. I haven't tried it yet, but might it make a good Manhattan?