Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Connoisseur

Re: Red Stag by Jim Beam.

Not selling well at all in my part of York county. The idiots at the PLCB put it right next to the regular Jim Beam too instead of with other the flavored whiskey. One can only hope for abject failure.
    Illuminati in training

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AVB View Post
    Not selling well at all in my part of York county. The idiots at the PLCB put it right next to the regular Jim Beam too instead of with other the flavored whiskey. One can only hope for abject failure.
    In every liquor store around here it is similarly placed.

Connoisseur

I haven't done a survey but of the few Maryland stores I've been in most had it separated. The PLCB is still comprised of idiots.
    Illuminati in training

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I was in Binny's recently and heard a page, "customer is looking for Red Stag liqueur." It was in the bourbon section, with the other Beams, which I'm sure is what Beam is recommending.

Disciple

I finally tried it last night -- solo on the rocks, and as part of a (not-very-well-made) Manhattan.

I liked it (but then I like both cherry and bourbon!) Still has nothing on the cherry "essence" of classic Stitzel-Weller distillate, but I'll probably give the "cherry Beam and coke" variation on a "Beam and cherry coke" a try next time.

My only beef is the pricing (see previous post) -- around these parts it lists north of $20/750 ml, the same as Jim Beam Black. More interesting to me at $16.99 in the NH state liquor store.
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I was in Binny's recently and heard a page, "customer is looking for Red Stag liqueur." It was in the bourbon section, with the other Beams, which I'm sure is what Beam is recommending.
    Why not? Brown - Forman puts Southern Comfort in the bourbon section, and WT honey is also there. Phillips Union stuff is also frequently there ...

Maye we need a bourbon sub-section for the wannabes
    Dave

"Remember, the BEST bourbon is FREE bourbon ..."

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Binny's seems to be going with a North American whiskey section. One peculiarity, perhaps related to the penchant of some to call Canadian whiskey "rye," is that they have put the American straight ryes and the Canadians adjacent to each other. The American blends are at the other end of the section and, naturally, on the lower shelves.

They aren't exactly all mixed together, but there are some odd adjacencies.

Southern Comfort, which actually is a liqueur (Red Stag is not), has always been in the bourbon section, though at times they have asked for dual placement. That was established long before Brown-Forman bought the brand.