Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Red Stag by Jim Beam.

Quote Originally Posted by AVB View Post
    Chuck, you are only looking at the label and it is true that they only call it "bourbon infused..." there. However, look at the advertising, the shelf talkers and the website (www.theredstag.com) and you will see they ARE calling it. "A Different Breed of BOURBON" That is my major complaint. They are calling it bourbon and that is plainly not true.
    My thoughts exactly. I understand how they are presenting it, and I have no problem with Beam marketing Red Stag as "bourbon infused with..." BUT I do have a problem with marketing Red Stag as BOURBON without the qualifier.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Where I think many are misunderstanding the regs is that, for the most part, the regs just say "if you want to call your product X you have to do this." However, you are free to call your product something about which the regs are silent and the regs don't care. There is no obligation to pigeonhole every product into an existing classification.

In Australia and other places, Jim Beam sells a product called "Jim Beam and Cola." Its ingredients are "Jim Beam Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey and cola." Anything wrong with that?

As for how they're marketing it, I won't defend that. I've said from the beginning that the downside risk of this is confusing consumers about a category (bourbon) about which they are already confused.

Connoisseur

Is that your interpretation? I would think that everything has to have a place if only for taxation purposes.
    Illuminati in training

An illustration.

"Moonshine" is a term with a general meaning, of a distilled spirit produced in an unlicensed still, and means in its verb form the production of same.

The regs, however, are silent about the term "moonshine." Therefore, Junior Johnson's Midnight Moon can call itself "moonshine" without offending the regs, even though legal moonshine is a contradiction. The legal classification for the product is 100% grain neutral spirits, but the term "moonshine" is used on the packaging. The term "moonshine" is prominent while "100% grain neutral spirits" is in mouse type, but it's all legal.
    Last edited by cowdery; 06-29-2009 at 09:08.

Disciple

Red Stag must be gaining in popularity. Many of the stores here in Myrtle Beach (I'm here on vacation) have it in the 1L bottles in addition to the 750's.

Thomas

Connoisseur

Chuck - I see what you mean. Thanks.

Horrid thought. It is (STILL) nasty stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Red Stag must be gaining in popularity. Many of the stores here in Myrtle Beach (I'm here on vacation) have it in the 1L bottles in addition to the 750's.

Thomas
    Illuminati in training

We're still in the midst of the launch push. Wait six months before you pronounce it a success.

Guru

Will we someday see a product called
    Kentucky Straight Bourbon with natural flavor added

or Kentucky Bourbon with natural flavor added?
    Last edited by ILLfarmboy; 06-30-2009 at 05:21.

Guru

I was drinking a Pepsi last night and it left me wanting something more so I splashed in just a little Red Stag. It reminded me of the Cherry Cokes I used to get after little league baseball games at our Dairy Queen. A little went a long way though.
    Dane
    I don't drink to excess. But I'll drink to most anything else.

Taster

That's it...cherry coke!!!
    I think the college kids will like it!