Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Taster

Special Occasion Bourbon

We know what a special Bourbon is....Like Wathens, or Van Winkle, or Woodford Reserve, What is your favorite occasion and special Bourbon that you enjoy together? So far mine is Van Winkle.
    For example: You drank Wild Turkey when you graduated from college, or you drank Evan Williams Single Barrel when your granddaughter was born.

Guru

Re: Special Occasion Bourbon

Well, my favorite occasion is when the Braves win the World Series, but I don't have to worry about that, too often.

My favorite special occasion bourbon is probably Kentucky Spirit. The main contender would be Blanton's.

Tim

Disciple

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Well, my favorite occasion is when the Braves win the World Series, but I don't have to worry about that, too often.

[/QUOTE]

Yep I'm gonna rush out and buy the most special (Hirch maybe??) bourbon I can find as soon as the RED SOX win a world series. Shouldnt have to worry about that any time soon !

Tom (Congrats to Anaheim, BTW!) C

Guru

You know, Tom, the Braves used to be a Boston team. Maybe you could help me pull for them.

Tim

Enthusiast

In general, I only drink my Hirsch on Independence Day and my Distiller's Masterpiece on Thanksgiving. I also have a Pappy 23, that I expect to crack on Mardi-Gra, and make that an annual event also.

I have also been know to pour these to celebrate things that just come up, as well as to share them with out of town visitors who would appreciate (and often have not tried) them.

Connoisseur

John,
    With this group, you must be very careful...
    &lt;snip&gt;I have also been know to pour these to celebrate things that just come up, as well as to share them with out of town visitors who would appreciate (and often have not tried) them.&lt;/snip&gt;
    least you come home one afternoon to find half a dozen happy, smiling faces holding empty glasses...
    I'll be the short one in the front
    Beej

Connoisseur

Hey Amelia!
    So very cool to see you here! There is strength in numbers...
    Yes, yes...I drank Wild Turkey when I got married. (skeers me to drink it to this day... ) Jim Beam Black and Makers Mark also come to mind on a couple of other milestones, although I rarely drink them now.
    Used to be a whole lot easier to remember them and keep it all straight. Then again, it used to be alot easier to do alot of stuff.
    Welcome,
    Beej

Disciple

Welcome aboard (no pun intended) Amelia! What a great question!

Lets see, the first bourbon I had was Maker's Mark and the most special occasion bourbon was my best man bought me a bottle of BLANTON'S for my bachelor party, I finished up my bachelorhood in style. . . . Right now my Wathens and ORVW 10 are my special occasion bourbons, cause they are both really good and I wont be getting anymore till at least June, so there has to be a good reason to drink them!

TomC

Disciple

This thread seemed more appropriate up here to me, might get a little more "action" too !

TomC

Guru

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    So far mine is Van Winkle.

[/QUOTE]

AmeliaC,

Welcome to SB.com!

Would your favorite be the 10/107? It's certainly in my Desert Island Five.

Of the other VW bourbons, I've tried only the 15/107, which I find less tasty than the ten year old expression. I have yet to try any of the 90 proof expressions.

The Van Winkle Family Reserve 13 Year Old Rye is presently my favorite drink of all.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield