Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Guru

American Whiskey in Israel

OK, I hate these sorts of threads as much as everybody else, so feel free to flame me. I can take it.

That said, anybody have any experience with buying whiskey in duty free or other stores in Israel? I have a friend going there soon and all I've been able to tell her is to look for WT 8 or 12.

I believe she's flying into Ben Gurion in Tel Aviv. Any suggestions?
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Re: American Whiskey in Israel

Not gonna flame you Josh. I asked the same thing before I went to Vegas last year. I asked what the best place were to have a pour of bourbon, and what liquor stores might be good to stop at. I got good replies. I hope you do too. I'm not sure how many of our members have been to Israel before, but it sure doesn't hurt to ask. Good Luck. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

I am headed to Egypt next month and asked a few members here who are frequent international travelers. I'm really excited as I have never travelled outside the US. Here's what they told me.

Best duty free options now are WT 8 and 12, and Blantons when available in silver, gold and barrel proof. Not all duty free has the same options.

I've tried to get an online shopping directory for the duty free sites that I will be passing and have been unable. There are a few duty free locations that actually have an online shopping directory that you can look at. You'll have to search for it though.

Good luck!
    Dawn
    2007 Fantasy Football Champion
    GBS Member #4
    2012 BOTY

Disciple

I was in Jerusalem last May and didn't even look at the duty free stores. I don't even want to tell you how much I paid for shots of Jameson there.

I would not hold out much hope for any kind of value, maybe rarity?

Apprentice

Josh, I'll be there at the end of the month, and I'll make sure to give a full report while I'm there.

In fact, while I am there - I'm looking into starting a distributorship there. The problem being ... well, multi-faceted. Not just the taxes (which are monstrous), but any business there has to deal with a crazy mafia presence, which makes things more difficult for everyone.

That said, we'll see what the story is and I'll let you know.

Guru

Thanks everybody! My friend who was going is bonneamie. I asked the question for her b/c I wasn't sure if she would have time to post herself. According to a text I received from her, she saw some WT 8 @the Newark airport duty free before she even left the country!

Anyway, she told me that she would look at the duty free at Ben Gurion and the Rome airport and if she has time she's look for interesting bottles in either places.

If I hear from her again before she comes back I'll pass these suggestions along!

Thanks again!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by luv2hunt View Post
    I am headed to Egypt next month and asked a few members here who are frequent international travelers. I'm really excited as I have never travelled outside the US. Here's what they told me.

Best duty free options now are WT 8 and 12, and Blantons when available in silver, gold and barrel proof. Not all duty free has the same options.

I've tried to get an online shopping directory for the duty free sites that I will be passing and have been unable. There are a few duty free locations that actually have an online shopping directory that you can look at. You'll have to search for it though.

Good luck!
    Dawn,
    What US airports are you passing through? Are you going to go through Dallas? If so they have WT 8 (~$25) & 12 (~$35) and Blanton''s Silver (~$40) and Gold (~$60).

If you are going through another airport, let me know and I will check when I am in them and give you the prices... Chicago, Boston, DC, LA, etc....

Disciple

Hey Josh,
    If you want WT 8yr, you can get on the way to and from Windsor, Ontario. It runs around 19.00 a 1L bottle!

Thomas

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Hey Josh,
    If you want WT 8yr, you can get on the way to and from Windsor, Ontario. It runs around 19.00 a 1L bottle!

Thomas
    Thanks Tom! Next time I go to Tunnel BBQ in Windsor or Pelee Island winery, I'll be sure to pick some up! A lot closer than Isreal.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog