Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Are mini bottles a reliable sample?

I assume it's the same contents of the regular bottles, but is there anything inherent about them that they would not be a reliable sample of the whiskey? If I like or dislike something from a mini, should I trust it?

Enthusiast

Re: Are mini bottles a reliable sample?

Excellent question. I've wondered about this myself.

Unfortunately, most of the bourbons I really "know" don't come in 50ml bottles.
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Disciple

when I saw this post I began to wonder myself. I have only had "exclusive samples" from a few minis. The most notable would be blanton's and I had a bad experience with the mini, and then a mediocre experience with the 750. I am pretty sure this particular mini had some cork taint.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    when I saw this post I began to wonder myself. I have only had "exclusive samples" from a few minis. The most notable would be blanton's and I had a bad experience with the mini, and then a mediocre experience with the 750. I am pretty sure this particular mini had some cork taint.
    That's interesting that the mini had cork. I haven't seen that yet. The cap seems to be the hardest thing for the producers to replicate. I see a lot of bottles that look just like the 750ml except for the top.

Disciple

Unless the mini had a cork stopper it can't be corked.

Some bottles of Blantons can taste earthy or musty. Which word you use depends on whether you like it or not. I love it. I have had corked whiskey and that was very different, and very bad.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Disciple

I think a mini is a fairly reliable guide. I don't have a whole lot of experience with trying a mini first then buying a regular bottle. Minis in Sapporo are just too expensive. I would rather buy a full size bottle and take my chances. But the minis I have had in the States and on airlines seemed representative of the spirit. I mean, Jim Beam Black, mini, tastes like Jim Beam Black, bottle etc. I must admit that I wasn't really trying to evaluate the minis that I have had, but I have never drunk one and thought it tasted odd.

Ed
    Bourbon makes me happy.

Go Fighters!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Edward_call_me_Ed View Post
    Unless the mini had a cork stopper it can't be corked.

Some bottles of Blantons can taste earthy or musty. Which word you use depends on whether you like it or not. I love it. I have had corked whiskey and that was very different, and very bad.

Ed
    I just checked the bottle, and the Blanton's mini I bought at a Lexington Liquor Barn last summer DOES have a cork stopper. It's sitting in our china cabinet b/c the wife thinks it looks pretty. Which it does.

It did not taste musty or corked to me, but it did taste kinda, well, boring. I've never had corked whiskey, but I have corked wine and it's a nasty experience. Most decent wine shops will let you bring it back for that reason and exchange it.

At any rate, the possibilty of a whiskey (or wine for that matter) becoming corked makes me wonder why do it in the first place? It just seems like a gimmick to make it seem fancier and therefore better, hoping the consumer will think, in the words of the EB folks, it is "good enough for a cork"
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I just checked the bottle, and the Blanton's mini I bought at a Lexington Liquor Barn last summer DOES have a cork stopper.
    Yeah... what he said.

This cork had a good sized crack in it and some blue grey funk on the bottom.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Advanced Taster

The whiskey is the same so I think it would be a fair representation of a larger bottle.

The problem that I see is that you only have one shot to develop your opinion. On occasion I have tried a new bourbon then had my initial reaction develop over time as I tried it again days or weeks later.

So while the whiskey is the same... apparently I am not.
    Jeff

Give me Bourbon or give me death! ~ Hondo (1982)

Connoisseur

Through the generosity of a board member, I had the opportunity to try several Stizell Weller minis (Thanks again Thomas). Every one I tried was as good as their big brothers that I tried at the gazebo.

I agree with Hondo, however, it may not be enough to form a conclusive opinion. In my case, I already knew that I loved the contents.