Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Delilah's in Chicago

I am planning on going there tomorrow night. 600+ Whiskies. For those who have been, any suggestions on enjoying my visit? Has anyone tried their new house bourbon?

Thanks

Advanced Taster

Re: Delilah's in Chicago

It gets pretty crowded on weekend nights and loud, so if you can get there early, your chance of getting a seat will be much better. Since the whiskey list is so huge, if you can get a seat at the bar, it's fun to just look at the shelves and play "Hey, I've never seen that before!"

I haven't been in in a month or two, but if they've still got Old Commonwealth, I'd really recommend getting a pour of that. It's the same whiskey as Stitzel-Weller stock ORVW 10/107, and it's only $7 (I think) a pour.

If you've got serious loot, you can get some pre-Prohibition Old Mock. The last time I asked about that, it was $40 a pour. They also had some bonded Old Taylor from the 60s or 70s; I think that was $30-35 a pour.

Have fun!

- Ethan

Advanced Taster

Thanks Ethan. Great advice. Just what I was looking for.

Disciple

If they still have the older Delilah's house brand, choose that over the newer (black label?) -- it's S-W whiskey vs. KBD-selected rye recipe.

Another vote for the Old Mock (and if you let them know you're going to do a tasting flight and they're not too busy, you can order half-shots -- at half-price!)
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Advanced Taster

Wow, that's great advice, Kevin. My girlfriend lives a few blocks from there, so we tend to go in during non-rushed times. I'll have to try a half-shot tasting flight at some point.

Blitz, how was your visit? What did you end up tasting?

Advanced Taster

I did make it to Delilahs. The tastings that I did were fun, but the overall experience was a dissapointment. This was mostly due to the bartender there. He was very impersonal. I tried to engage him in talk about whiskey, but he was just taking orders. He was actually rude to my friends. This is a small place, if your bartender is a killjoy, it affects the whole atmosphere.

My tastings were as follows:

Old Commonwealth: 'hot' is the word that came to mind for me. Strong alchohol taste, and the underlying flavors were almost too suttle. I wasn't crazy about it but it did have a charactor about it that I had not experienced, so I'm glad I tried it.

Delilahs Old House Brand from PVW: This is a 10yr wheated bourbon, with a similar taste to the PVW 15, just a little less complex and 'thinner'. Very nice pour.

Delilahs House Brand Rye: Didn't know they had this and don't know much about it, but it was the best whiskey I had that night. Nice rye spiciness.

Jameson 18: I drink regular Jameson when I am looking for a change of pace. I like it alot and was looking forward to trying the 18. This was a dissapointment. Maybe it was because it was my last pour, but I could hardly tell the difference from the regular($17) Jameson. I little smoother, but that's it.

Also, we did have some fun with a crazy old dude named 'Don'. He hung out with us even after some strong hints that he should leave us alone. He even jumped into a picture we took (he's in the middle). It was kinda funny.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Virtuoso

I was in Delilah's about a month or two ago and some guy I just met bought me a pour of WLW 2000. Wow! that was something else...I think it's partly resposible for my renewed interest in bourbon and my expanding bourbon collection.

Don't be too hard on the Delilah's bartender...he's more of a vodka guy.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy38 View Post
    Don't be too hard on the Delilah's bartender...he's more of a vodka guy.

Appearantly Vodka makes you a surly s.o.b. Keep it away from me.

Guru

If it is the same guy we had this summer I agree...not real personable.
    Blitz - was "Don" drinking or waiting for you to buy him a round?
    He might be a regular there.

Advanced Taster

Don was nursing a can of PBR, pouring it into what looked like about a 4 oz. glass. He probably wanted me to buy him a drink, but he was not my type.

Jono, love your signature!!