Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Whiskeyfest 2000

Now that some of you folks may be easing out of the afterglow of this year's Bourbon Festival (damn, I wish we could have been there), maybe you could help me with Whiskeyfest 2000, at the Marriott Marquis in NY on Nov. 1. I'll be meeting my son there and we'll be staying at the Marriott itself. Because of the expense and rarity (for us) of the experience, we want to get the most we can out of it, and to be creditable representatives of straightbourbon.com. Any ideas or suggestions? I plan to concentrate on ryes and, of course, the new bourbon offerings, and I'd be most interested to meet Jim Murray, as I understand he's passionate about rye. It would be great to link up with any of you who will be there, also. Finally, any suggestions about good liquor and/or tobacco stores in the general vicinity (pipesmoking is my other hobby). Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Ralph Wilps

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Whiskeyfest 2000

Hi Ralph,

The Nat Sherman megastore is not too far away, then there are the Dunhill and Davidoff shops in the general vicinty. Please be advised that you will actually have to leave the floor of the Fest to partake of a smoke. Believe me, even though three and half hours sounds like a long time, you might want to think twice about taking the time away from the festivities for a smoke.

Park Ave Liquors is also within walking distance and has the finest selections of whisk(e)ys in NYC. Herb is the resident whisky maven.

I'll be concentrating on single malts, but I know that Lew will be there. Jim Murray will likely be splitting time again between the Buffalo Trace and Knappogue Castle tables.

Cheers,
    Bushido

Advanced Taster

Bushido,

Thanks for the info - we'll be looking for you, Jim and Lew to say hello. I may even try to fight my way through the crowd around the Ardbeg table - like so many others I started out with Speyside single malts, and ended up in Islay and Skye before staggering my way home to bourbon, with a detour through a puddle of Pusser's rum. Perhaps a nosing for auld lang syne...

Ralph Wilps

Enthusiast

Ralph,
    Be sure and come by my table & try my 13-year rye and a new disillation of my 20-Year "Pappy" which will be out in December of this year.

Enthusiast

Ralph,
    Be sure and come by my table & try my 13-year rye and a new disillation of my 20-Year "Pappy" which will be out in December of this year.
    Regards,
    Julian

Advanced Taster

Dear Julian,

Thank you for your kind invitation - wild turkeys couldn't keep me away! I'm from the Pittsburgh area and I spend a pretty fair amount of time around Monongahela, PA. There's a little spit of land sticking out into the river there with a historical society road sign explaining that it is "Whiskey Point", where the Whiskey Rebellion was finally put down. I can envision the flatboats poling out into the river later that week, quietly drifting to the left downstream past the army camp in the night fog, the dull shine of copper stills and coils hidden by quilts and bundles. Those freemen distillers and their families were headed for Kentucky, leaving old man Overholt on the bluff behind, he of the church connections and the hidden still. I am looking forward to tasting a rye that honors our land and the libertarian values which ultimately brought forth bourbon from the softer bluegrass which welcomed these refugees.

Ralph Wilps

**DONOTDELETE**

Ralph,

The smart money is on the Aberlour table. Neil MacDonald will be bringing some superlative not-available-in-the-US whiskies like the Special Reserve (French Market only). If you enjoy a good Speysider, don't pass up Aberlour.

Interestingly enough, my personal journey through the whisky world has lead me back to scottish blends. I was very intrigued by Jim Murray's article in the latest MA issue. Finally, a topic on which we can agree! (please leave me out of the Ardbeg discussions). We should plan to meet up during the 'Fest. RU entering early with the rest of us?

Sláinte,
    Bushido

Advanced Taster

Bushido,

My son and I will be entering at 6 with the rest of the MAWS and media folks. Since, as I said, we've never been to one of these before I'd love to hook up with you for a few tips on getting the most from the evening, and also to put a face with the words I've enjoyed over the past few months (I've got your stylish site bookmarked). If you have any suggestions where and when to do so without intruding on your plans, then let us know.

Aberlour, eh? I remember it from years ago as a complex whisky which was being pitched by its importers as a bargain-priced "sleeper". A cask-strength bottling would be fascinating to taste.

In anticipation,
    Ralph Wilps

**DONOTDELETE**

Ralph,

The first time is pretty daunting. You don't know where to go first and what to do next. To get the most out of it, try to do a little bit of everything the first time out. Look at the speaker's list and do attend a presentation that interests you. It is an incredible opportunity to learn from the masters. I am sad to see that Richard Paterson from Dalmore is not on the speaker's list for NYC this year. His presentation/competition on blends was a highlight during my first year.

Do plan on targeting a booth from a distillery that you have an interest in. It is an unparalleled chance to ask probing questions and give your opinions in an informal atmosphere with the master blenders and distillery managers who shape the future of the products we all enjoy.

Make a checklist of whisk(e)ys that you want to sample. Take advantage of the early entry to hit the most popular destinations before the huddled masses are released.

Finally, it is not explicitly stated, but most everyone will be wearing business attire or business casual. I was *extremely* casual on my first go round and felt a little uncomfortable.

I will be meeting several folks there, but I always have time to make a new friend. Email me off-list and I'm sure we can arrange a time and place to chat for a bit.

Cheers,

Bushido

Novice

Hey Ralph,

Tell us about Whiskeyfest NY - did ya have anything spectacular? I'll be attending Chicago and I need to know.

Joe