Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Apprentice

PVW 15 vs. Lot "B"

I would like to try another bottle from Van Winkle (I have the 20yr) but am torn, I want them all. I was looking at the PVW 15 vs. Lot "B". Any advise from the experts? If you could only get one, which would it be?

Re: PVW 15 vs. Lot "B"

That's a good question but I've never had a a VW and it's not going to happen in the near future. Tell us about yourself what you've been drinking, what you've tried , what you like, don't like, where your from, ask questions , give us your opinions, how you got started with bourbon.That's what this threads all about getting to know one another your going to meet lots of great folks hear and make new friends get off on rousing start.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Advanced Taster

I definitely prefer the 15 to the Lot B, but I think you'll find strong support for both on this forum.

Apprentice

I real got in to bourbon about two years ago when a couple of us here in roural maryland started to play cards on saturday night. Since then we seem to play less card but drink more bourbon. My favorite currently is the Weller 107 and the 2008 stagg. I guess that makes me a wheat fan. People seem to leave their bottles at my house, which is nice, so I have tried quite a few of the BT bourbons. RHF and Blantons are outstanding and have that nice rye flavor. The 20yr Van Winkle has a very strong wood finish which I do not care for. I am curious about the VW's other offerings but have never picked up another bottle. I think my taiste has progressed enough to revisit PVW. Sorry for the abrupt earlier post.

Quote Originally Posted by booniesville View Post
    I real got in to bourbon about two years ago when a couple of us here in roural maryland started to play cards on saturday night. Since then we seem to play less card but drink more bourbon. My favorite currently is the Weller 107 and the 2008 stagg. I guess that makes me a wheat fan. People seem to leave their bottles at my house, which is nice, so I have tried quite a few of the BT bourbons. RHF and Blantons are outstanding and have that nice rye flavor. The 20yr Van Winkle has a very strong wood finish which I do not care for. I am curious about the VW's other offerings but have never picked up another bottle. I think my taiste has progressed enough to revisit PVW. Sorry for the abrupt earlier post.
    Nice post chat is on Thursdays and Sundays nights try and stop in you'll
    have some fun some of us are on here Fridays and and Saturday nights as well.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Advanced Taster

I don't know if I qualify as an "expert," but I've had a couple of bottles of both the Lot B and the Pappy 15. I prefer the Pappy 15. It's got such a rich, chewy texture, and a great nose. The extra proof and age versus the Lot B make it the winner (and one of my favorite whiskeys). Lot B is a tremendous bourbon, too, so you can't go wrong with either one. If price isn't a big deal, bite on the Pappy 15.

One thing I've noticed, though, is that the price of the PVW 15 varies wildly from store to store. When I see it, it's marked anywhere from like $48 to $75. Since Lot B has crept north of $40, that means the prices can be pretty close. I'd always opt for the Pappy if it's just a few dollars more, but if it's 30 bucks more, though? I'd probably take the Lot B and be perfectly happy with it.

Disciple

I would get a bottle of each. I personally like the 15 better but both are very good!

Thomas

Guru

I would go with the Lot B.
    Especially if it is the Autumn '08 release, that is one of my all time favorites.
    ovh

Apprentice

From what I understand, the new release is coming to Maryland next month. Does anyone know if this is the same bourbon from the fall release or is the spring release different?

Virtuoso

I prefer the Pappy 15 over the Lot B, by a longshot.