Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flasks

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: Flasks

What happened to all for one and one for all? I figured when I checked back in here everyone would forgo a week or months drinking and come through for Texascarl here. I also was hoping the tote board would be up to like 457.00 and I would come in with the last buck and a half! Geez what a cheap group! Autosuck Hah! What about the poor Finnish Bastard that froze his ass off carving that shit? Come on Guys and Gals Have a Heart! Goddamn..........

Disciple

Our Bad

Sorry TexasCarl

Tom (Please don't punish us, Bobby!) C

Advanced Taster

"Guess I'll make do with my trusty 3 oz. pewter flask."

Pewter flasks are nice in their own way and have a good, sturdy "feel." But, it's my understanding that they retain the flavor of what you put in them, therefore you have to pretty much fill them with the same stuff you put in the first time. True? Better to stick with stainless steel?

Just wonderin'.

SpeedyJohn

Enthusiast

Hey, ask and ye shall receive! BC, I'm making up a Christmas list, and I'll forward it to you soon. Let's see... a bottle of Woodford Reserve, a GI Joe with the Kung Fu grip, an...anyway the final list should be along any day. See ya, H'wood

The Boss

I regret not having picked up a few of those, as they would have made great Christmas gifts. I made the mistake of telling my brother that the WT flasks were even available. Next time, I keep my mouth shut

Advanced Taster

I've got an 8 oz. pewter flask from Orvis with an engraved troutfishing scene on each side. I've put both bourbon and rum in it (not together, mind you), and even though it's got a really small mouth and is hard to wash, I've never had a problem with residual flavors. I think the secret is to rinse it well and slosh a little of whatever you're going to carry in it around inside first. Then dump that out and fill the flask.

Ralph Wilps

Advanced Taster

Re: Knives

Thanks, Carl! There's just something about a puukko knife or a Finnish Lahti pistol that warms the heart - maybe the stories I've heard about the Winter War and the Finnish resistance to the Russians, since my dad's people are Lithuanian. The puukko I have I got a long time ago from a Brookstone catalog, of all places. It was designed by Tapio Wirkkala and has a black, nearly-triangular composition handle. You want to watch that knife with cold, bloody hands, though - you can slide up onto the blade quick as a blink.

Ralph Wilps

Enthusiast

"You want to watch that knife with cold, bloody hands, though - you can slide up onto the blade quick as a blink"

Yep, as you look at a lot of traditional puukko knives, you'll notice that the handle 'swells' out at the end. These knives evolved over the centuries to be used in the cold even wearing gloves or mittens, and always using a pull-towards-you cutting stroke. No 'fingerguard' on these knives, because they teach their children not to 'push' with a knife, but to 'pull'. With that caveat in mind, these knives are safe as kittens.

Advanced Taster

How you learn something new every day with this crowd! I've heard that samurai were taught always to pull on the cutting stroke... So they taught little Lapp kids all that,too. The only trouble with that piece of knowledge is that it apparently gets used in all kind of ways - I've heard that Finns can get in very black moods "in their cups", and when the puukkos come out they're the most dangerous knife fighters you'd ever want to not know. They apparently have a no-nonsense, pig-slaughtering approach that is not a martial art, but simply killing.

Ralph Wilps