Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Create your own Bourbon???

If you were going to create your own Small Batch Bourbon for sale to the public, what would you do to make it distinctive?

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Create your own Bourbon???

While I strongly suspect that anyone who joins, doesn't fill out a profile and then posts a question like this is some kind of not-very-slick marketer, trying to get some free advice...I'll bite:

The best way to get people to clamor for your whiskey, is to not sell it to them.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    While I strongly suspect that anyone who joins, doesn't fill out a profile and then posts a question like this is some kind of not-very-slick marketer, trying to get some free advice.

I had the same thoughts.

I will add making it a limited yearly release. Oh yeah, make it expensive. Maybe label it as "Very Old" too. That seems to be an eye catcher.
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Corn, Barley and wheat to start, (I like wheaters) yeast, and #3 or #4 charred white oak barrels. Then, let's see.......... aged for a long time, and bottled in a very plain bottle. It would have to be 100+ proof. I've had so much bourbon the last couple of years, it needs to be a higher proof to have any residual effect at all. Not sure what I'd call it. Haven't thought that far ahead yet. Maybe Tenpin. I'm a bowler. I leave a lot of those. Toodles. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Disciple

Simple, open Stitzel Weller back up and distill it there!

Thomas

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    While I strongly suspect that anyone who joins, doesn't fill out a profile and then posts a question like this is some kind of not-very-slick marketer, trying to get some free advice...I'll bite:
    Same thought.

But I too, will bite.

1. Low distilling out proof. say around 115 so as to produce a very flavorful distillate.
    2. Low barreling proof. say, 110
    3. bottling proof of 100+ how about 105
    4. Aged between 6 and 8 years
    5. No bullshit marketing crap like some fake back-story.
    6. plain but handsome traditional bottle. Nothing that looks like it was meant to appeal to college age vodka snobs still living partly on Mommy and Daddy's money
    7. When choosing a name keep in mind point number six.

Connoisseur

BONDED! Old style. With a DSP # and season of distillation and bottling. Then you can add some legitimate back story to the back label about the BiB Act and it's history re quality whiskey.

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Advanced Taster

Sorry, kids ... no slick marketeer here ... just someone interested in what others would fancy if they had a clean slate to work with. I think I'd aim for more character ... low proof distillation for the grain character ... and low proof aging for the wood character (combined with near barrel proof bottling) ... just for starters.

Taster

I'd got high proof with some spiciness.
    Think cask meets habanero and throw in some heavy wood tones.
    Definitely not for everyone.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Geek View Post
    Sorry, kids ... no slick marketeer here ... just someone interested in what others would fancy if they had a clean slate to work with. I think I'd aim for more character ... low proof distillation for the grain character ... and low proof aging for the wood character (combined with near barrel proof bottling) ... just for starters.

Well, Master Distillers are equal parts Marketer and Chemist these days. Welcome to the forum, Mr. Pickerell.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile