Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Grilled steak and...

Got a buddy coming up for a visit in a few weeks and am planning on grilling some thick Porterhouse steaks, hopefully over some good hickory. I'm pretty handy with the grill and, if I may say, do a killer steak. It'll still be cold up here but I grill in the snow occasionally. Dammit, I'm a man.

My question; what do you guys like with a big, smoky, juicy steak? Normally I like a slightly hoppy beer like a Sam Adams, etc., but my pal is a bourbon/single malt devotee like me. I had a Balvenie 15 with a steak at Morton's in Anaheim last year, great combination.

What are your thoughts? Bourbon? Rye? Single malt? Two of each?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cheers!

Guru

Re: Grilled steak and...

Bourbon. Whatever you like. I lean to ryed bourbons for an accompaniment to steaks. Nothing too young though. In fact, preferably on the older end of your preference range. The barrel influence goes well with a nice steak with a little char of its own. Rye, I think goes better with grilled pork and scotch goes with any Italian pasta/seafood dish.

Virtuoso

Thanks for your suggestions, man, greatly appreciated.

My initial thoughts are to let the hickory smoke take center stage and not let peat smoke or barrel char fight with it, so I was thinking younger bourbon, but I can see how a little char could pull things together. Particularly in the sauteed mushrooms that will accompany the steak. I usually throw a little bourbon in the skillet just before the mushrooms are done, with a fat pat of butter. High or medium proof? To me, a smoky steak wants a medium (90-100) proof whiskey but I'm open to ideas.

I'm sure there really is no bad combination where bourbon and grilled beef are concerned, but I'm trying to take the season into account a little. It's late winter and I still have over a foot of snow on the ground. SMS weather for me. But the magical powers bourbon is endowed with may hasten the onset of spring...

Thanks again.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Luna56; 03-06-2009 at 00:21.

Guru

I was thinking about this the other day...what foods really go with whiskey....other than some nibblers....beef popped up...I think I agree with
    the bourbon / steak, rye / pork combos.....though certainly not a rule..I never would have considered scotch with pasta (what kind? Sauce?).....salmon yes...and similar strong flavored fish....it would overpower a mild white fish...unless in a bouillabaisse etc.

Connoisseur

I don't particularly care for bourbon with my meal. It's good before or after dinner but not as an accompaniment. Given that it's still cold I would go with some WLW as a prelude, and Sam Adams or something comparable with the steak.

Do you use propane? I don't find it works very well in cold weather.
    Craig

Guru

Normally, I would probably sip some bourbon while cooking...switch to a red wine with dinner....or maybe a beer...then later sip some more bourbon.

Advanced Taster

I'm with Jono. A decent bourbon over ice before dinner and a cognac-grade bourbon in a snifter after. Nothing like a good porterhouse over a CHARCOAL grill accompanied by a nice red wine. The "meritage" wines coming out of California are pretty good; they're a mix of cabernet sauvignon and lesser grapes such as cabernet franc and merlot. Sort of like a Bordeaux.

It's only 10:00 a.m. here now, but already you've got me thinking of this evening!

Disciple

I'm actually a fan of bourbon and steak at the same time, but for me it would be a smooth wheater like a Lot B.

(Making me hungry!)
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by marco246 View Post
    I'm with Jono. A decent bourbon over ice before dinner and a cognac-grade bourbon in a snifter after. Nothing like a good porterhouse over a CHARCOAL grill accompanied by a nice red wine. The "meritage" wines coming out of California are pretty good; they're a mix of cabernet sauvignon and lesser grapes such as cabernet franc and merlot. Sort of like a Bordeaux.

It's only 10:00 a.m. here now, but already you've got me thinking of this evening!
    Marco, do you buy the locally raised Wagyu steaks? I know they are expensive even in HA. I imagine the cost of CA and Australian wines is pretty similar re shipping etc....though Aussie wines are often cheaper on the mainland.

Guru

Lightbulb Re: Grilled steak and...

I enjoy a drink before dinner, but with that steak I would want a good, full-bodied red wine. A nice Chateauneuf du Pape would be wonderful. Or a Bordeaux or Bordeaux-style wine.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur