Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Grilled steak and...

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    ...I never would have considered scotch with pasta (what kind? Sauce?).....salmon yes...and similar strong flavored fish....it would overpower a mild white fish...unless in a bouillabaisse etc.
    no red sauces but blonde seafood/ shellfish sauces like portifino. Also things like shrimp scampi.

Yes, scotch will over power a mild fish.

Enthusiast

Got to go with the red wine, I prefer a Zin, but I don't find any bourbon (or any hard liquor) to work well with steak. Too strong on the taste buds.
    Love a good cocktail before and after.
    TJ

Virtuoso

Appreciate the responses, guys. A wide range of opinions indeed.

I normally prefer a good beer over wine, but I'll do the wine thing occasionally.
    Guess I'll experiment a little and see what happens. If bourbon doesn't cut it I can always save it for afterwards.

Craig, I never grill over propane. I was a charcoal guy, then charcoal with wood chips. Now I grill over wood and there's no turning back. Usually hickory but sometimes mesquite, oak, apple or a combination of a couple different woods depending on what I'm grilling. I've mentioned it before here so I won't belabor the point, but grilling over wood beats those chips any day. Not even close.

Here's a steak grilling tip that yeilds fantastic results for me; keep a small bowl of melted butter close to the grill. If you've used any kind of spices to treat the steak before grilling, add a little bit to the butter with a pinch of salt. Shortly before the steak is ready to come off, gently brush or dab the butter on to the steak with the steak on the cool side of the grill. Turn and repeat. When you hit that "sweet spot" of the grill, the butter forms a delicate crust. It's a little tricky but once you get the hang of it you'll dig it I'm sure.

If you've got some "steak tips" let's hear 'em.

Cheers!

P.S. Regarding the butter tip; be careful not to drip too much into the coals, you'll get a flame-up. Don't soak the steak in it, just a little. The trick is to crisp up the butter without burning it too much. Experiment with placement of the steak on the grill to find what works for you.
    Last edited by Luna56; 03-06-2009 at 22:21.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Marco, do you buy the locally raised Wagyu steaks? I know they are expensive even in HA. I imagine the cost of CA and Australian wines is pretty similar re shipping etc....though Aussie wines are often cheaper on the mainland.
    Jono,

Confess I am ignorant as to whether anyone is raising Wagyu cattle here. Maybe out at the Parker Ranch. I'll enquire.

I've had Kobe-style beef only once in my life--at a great steak house in Lexington, KY, of all places. It was certainly delicious, even magnificent, but I've had a lot of great steaks so found myself wondering what all the fuss was about. With more exposure, maybe I'd learn to appreciate it more.

I buy my wines at COSTCO, and the Aussies are always good value there, even though I'm more likely to pick up a California.

Guru

We have been finding several very tasty South African wines at our Costco. My wife loves one called "Goats Do Roam".

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Luna56 View Post

What are your thoughts? Bourbon? Rye? Single malt? Two of each?
    Parker Heritage 122.9 or any of the original PHs go well with beef. There are great charicters of briskey and smoked meats in them to me...

Guru

Along side a nicely done filet, chose a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from a neatly tapped 5 gal keg that will never survive the night.

Had a few nice bourbons made available also.

I still gladly drank beer. I will have a very nice Baker's for a finale.
    Last edited by SBOmarc; 03-07-2009 at 23:21.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Guru

Last night I attended a school fundraiser..."steakfry"...really it is a steak grilling.....the local VFW has large steel grilling basins filled with both charcoal and wood....very hot with a steel grate over the fuel....everyone gets their steaks and plops them down...I picked up the only bourbon in the bar...a WT80...certainly not the best but it was bourbon...it went well with the steak...I also had some beer to wash things down.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Luna56 View Post
    Craig, I never grill over propane. I was a charcoal guy, then charcoal with wood chips. Now I grill over wood and there's no turning back. Usually hickory but sometimes mesquite, oak, apple or a combination of a couple different woods depending on what I'm grilling. I've mentioned it before here so I won't belabor the point, but grilling over wood beats those chips any day. Not even close.
    I agree generally, but propane is just easy - let's me grill when otherwise I might not. We had rain all weekend, which kind of killed the grilling mood here - at least for a while.
    Craig

Steak tips. Hmmmm. I generally tenderize my steaks whether they need it or not. For spices I mix some Lowerys Seasoned Salt, black pepper, and just a pinch of onion and garlic powder. For a sauce or marinade, I have no real recipe. I just throw whatever I have on hand together. Usually worcestershire, with some steak or barbecue sauce,(depending on the mood) and anything from a little wine to salad dressing to bourbon.
    As for a Bourbon with the meal. Well, I usually don't drink till afterwards. I usually will have ERSB, ETL, MM, or FRSB while socializing afterwards. But, for some strange reason, a strong Knob Creek and Coke came to mind when I read the posts on this thread. Good Luck Luna. Let us know how it all turns out. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"