Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: Grilled steak and...

Thanks for the tip, Joe.

I generally won't salt a steak until just before it goes on the grill but I'll often do a rub of some sort.

Here's another steak tip; let the steak reach room temperature before you grill. It'll cook faster and the outside won't get tough while you're waiting for the cold inner part of the steak to cook.

As for the bourbon, I'll give it a try. I always have Sam Adams on hand if I decide a beer is more appropriate.

Cheers!

Guru

I like a "stand-up" bourbon with my steak.... something like WT101 or OGD114.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Virtuoso

That's the spirit. We gotta get a steak sometime.

I'm thinking of doing a Binny's order of some FR1B (100 proof) or maybe some WT101 which is available here. Nothing under 90, so that includes my beloved ERSB.

I was surprised how well the Balvenie 15 (100 proof) went with the Morton's steak I mentioned earlier. I don't normally have spirits with food unless it's snack food like nuts, etc. but that combo was great.

Thanks to all for the input.

Cheers!

Virtuoso

We've still got a lot of snow on the ground up here but I'm dragging the grill out for a practice run in the next day or two. Got a lot of oak and hickory on hand, so looking forward to charring some good beef. There's an old school butcher shop nearby, I can get some Delmonicos cut as fat as I want.

Life is good and getting better!

Cheers!

Enthusiast

Hey Luna - I'm going to grill a beef tenderloin Friday after work for a tasting I'm hosting Friday night. I usually drink beer (start with an Abita Purple Haze then onto Shiner Bock) while grilling and eating and then something like Lot B afterwards.

During football season, the wife and I found a prepackaged beef tenderloin that was easy for grillin' on the portable propane grill while tailgating. I've since tried them on the big daddy charcoal grill at home with success. Quick or no prep time is a plus when you're away from home or in a rush. Anyhow, I'll be serving the tenderloin sliced with dinner rolls and horseradish sauce and pretzels for snacking and cleaning the palate. We'll see how it goes with the bourbons.

Most of the time I enjoy the prep work. Sometimes a little fresh squeezed lime and oregano adds a pop to steak. Can't add the lime too early though. Always lots of fresh ground black pepper.

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I enjoy a drink before dinner, but with that steak I would want a good, full-bodied red wine. A nice Chateauneuf du Pape would be wonderful. Or a Bordeaux or Bordeaux-style wine.

Tim
    I largely agree here -- though, in my case, the preference would be for a mid-range Aussie Shiraz, because of the peppery finish (though I've no doubt Tim is absolutely correct, and a Chateauneuf du Pape -- absent from my racks currently -- would be splendid).
    Of course, any steak would be marinaded in whiskey, et al, before grilling .

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin View Post
    Hey Luna - I'm going to grill a beef tenderloin Friday after work for a tasting I'm hosting Friday night. I usually drink beer (start with an Abita Purple Haze then onto Shiner Bock) while grilling and eating and then something like Lot B afterwards.

During football season, the wife and I found a prepackaged beef tenderloin that was easy for grillin' on the portable propane grill while tailgating. I've since tried them on the big daddy charcoal grill at home with success. Quick or no prep time is a plus when you're away from home or in a rush. Anyhow, I'll be serving the tenderloin sliced with dinner rolls and horseradish sauce and pretzels for snacking and cleaning the palate. We'll see how it goes with the bourbons.

Most of the time I enjoy the prep work. Sometimes a little fresh squeezed lime and oregano adds a pop to steak. Can't add the lime too early though. Always lots of fresh ground black pepper.
    Sounds great, let us know how it turns out.
    I'm firing up the grill on Sunday, can't wait. Gotta get my chops up for my buddy's visit next weekend.

Plenty of oak and hickory to burn, I'll have some strong drink on hand as well.
    My current bottle of ERSB would be fantastic with grilled beef, but I don't think it's gonna last that long.

Cheers!

Guru

Drizzle some olive oil on trimmed asparagus, salt and pepper. Grill those while your steak rests. They don't take long at all.
    Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.

Bob Marley.

Virtuoso

Grilled asparagus, oh yeah. Great suggestion, I think I'll do just that. Thanks!

Cheers!

Virtuoso

Well, I hauled out the grill tonight and did up a couple of nice, fat Delmonicos over some hickory. I usually add an ounce or so of good bourbon to the thick cut sauteed mushrooms that accompany nearly every steak I cook, so I kept some in reserve to taste with my "test piece" of steak. The verdict: Good bourbon and grilled steak are a truly stellar pairing. I normally like a slightly hoppy beer with a steak, as the subtle edge of the beer complements the richness of the meat and fat. The bourbon, however, brings a sense of depth and definition to the "char," which highlights all the other flavors in the steak.

Wine accompaniments to steak are usually big and bold, with a tannic edge to cut through the fat. The tannins in bourbon perform the same function, but the corn adds much more to the textural experience, in my opinion. And, big surprise, the high proof enhances, rather than destroys or masks the flavor of the steak.

I could go on and on, and probably will at some point, but let me again state unequivocally: Bourbon and grilled steak are a perfect marriage. If you've had trepidation or misgivings before, toss them aside this spring/summer and try it, just once. You'll thank me, as I now thank those here who emboldened me with their encouragement.

Cheers!