Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Newbee needs a recommendation...

I am having a dinner party, and found out my guest prefers burbon over wine. I know my wines, but have no clue about burbon. What should I serve? Its a small party, and this is the "guest of honor"...

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Newbee needs a recommendation...

Not knowing where you are located, as many bourbons aren't available everywhere, I'd have to go with Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. Widely available and fairly universally liked, if a bit on the pricey side.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Thanks! I assume that is way different than the Crown Royal I have, right?

Oh, and I am in St. Louis, Missouri

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by unfamiliarground View Post
    Thanks! I assume that is way different than the Crown Royal I have, right?
    Yes, way different. CR is not a bourbon but a Canadian Whisky. Like Timothy said, with such a wide variety of bourbons, it is hard to narrow it down unless you can give us a list of what is available in your area. Also if you can give us a price range you are wanting to be in that would help also. Being the guest of honor, I am assuming price is not really an issue though. Just let us know and we are always glad to help.
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Your right, I don't mind spending on a premium bottle, but I'm not looking for a collector's bottle either. I would guess the prices vary as much as my wine does...I would like to stay under $50. Thanks for your help

Advanced Taster

Well, without knowing the line up in your area, I would suggest looking for any of the WT line up, except for the WT80. Four Roses small batch or single barrel are also good ones. Knob Creek, good proof and flavor. Weller Antique is an outstanding bourbon. It is a wheatier bourbon and pretty smooth at 107 proof. Eagle Rare gets high marks. Do you know what they like in a bourbon? High rye or wheat bourbons? Maybe a straight Rye? There are so many choices.....
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Virtuoso

I would go with Van Winkle lot B. It is one many people new to bourbon will not have heard of, but someone who enjoys bourbon will have a lot of respect for.

Lot B is highly regarded, and very few people dislike it. It is usually around $40.

To me, it does a good job of being noteworthy without having a profile that some may love and others may hate.

I think Four Roses Single Barrel is another good option.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Like Kickert said, Van Winkle Family Reserve 12 year old "Lot B" would be a great choice if it's available near you. I believe there is a Friar Tuck's in St. Louis. I know the Friar Tuck's in Illinois have a very good selection of bourbons. Maybe give Friar Tuck's and a few others a call. Good Luck. Joe

PS. Let us know what you decided, and how it all turns out.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

WOW. Now I get this website. My question is like someone asking me what bottle of wine to buy without saying red or white, sweet or dry. I'll look for one of the suggested ones...I really appreciate your insight. What can you tell me about Members Mark, Eagle Rare, Bookers, or Noah's Mill? (I think they are written in price order.)