Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apprentice

The more I drink bourbon...

...the less I like scotch.

I used to find that I liked both equally and then I really became interested in bourbons so I've been drinking bourbon almost exclusively over the last year. Now I can hardly stand scotch.

I think the warm sugary woody smells of bourbons that I love so much just really clash with the smelly of an even slightly peated or smokey scotch. The same smells that makes my dad (who's a scotch drinker) claim that bourbon smells like sweat socks are the smells I adore. Since I am "used to" them and like them it's the scotch that smells "off" to me.

Do many of you find that you can enjoy both equally or am I normal for falling solidly into one camp rather than the other?

-T

Guru

Re: The more I drink bourbon...

I use to be able to drink Scotch, but did not look to get it... now I cannot even drink it... Bourbon is just a better product... to me

Apprentice

I should have added that I didn't intend this to be a scotch flaming post...I am genuinely interested in whether or not most of you find that drinking bourbon focuses your palate more towards bourbon, or does it open up your palate to enjoy scotch equally well?

Advanced Taster

Barley, corn, rye, wheat...there is definitely a lot of good whiskey made from the many combinations of these grains. I like them all, and I don't find that one precludes others. The more the merrier, but I am always looking for something new.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
    ..whether or not most of you find that drinking bourbon focuses your palate more towards bourbon, or does it open up your palate to enjoy scotch equally well?
    I really like that turn of phrase.

If I drink bourbon or rye for that matter back to back several nights in a row, yes my palate becomes focused. But If I don't don't for a week or so and then pour a scotch, no problem.

In fact I've found the same thing with tequila. If I drink some kind of whiskey and then don't leave spirits alone for a few days, better yet a week, I don't enjoy the tequila as much.

Guru

I like them all but my choice is very mood dependent....however, I have switched to more bourbon drinking than Scotch or Irish in the past several years. Some of it is just learning about and enjoying bourbons...Scotch price is another limiting factor. I do agree with Brad that following one with the other is more difficult than having some time between. The chocolate vs vanilla choice conundrum.

Enthusiast

I like both alot. I get bored of one kind of whiskey after two or three weeks and switch over to the other. Lately I've been going back and forth within the same week.

Taster

bourbon is my best friend. scotch is my secret lover.

that make sense? i always keep about 1-2 bottles of scotch but try to have at least 5 different bottles of bourbon at one time.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ElasticalGomez View Post
    bourbon is my best friend. scotch is my secret lover.

that make sense? i always keep about 1-2 bottles of scotch but try to have at least 5 different bottles of bourbon at one time.
    Well said my friend
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I used to think I wanted to live in New York until I met Chicago. I still love New York, but Chicago suits me better.

Same way with bourbon. I went from beer to scotch and was a scotch drinker until I moved to Kentucky. I tried bourbon and it immediately became my drink of choice. I still like scotch, and Irish whiskey. Heck, I like Japanese whiskey. I just like bourbon better. Occasionally I feel like drinking something other than bourbon. I'll have some tequila, or rum, or gin, maybe even vodka. But mostly when I reach for a bottle, my hand comes back grasping a bourbon.