Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Guru

Tis Irish Whiskey time...nice reviews

http://www.irishtimesphilly.com/iris...e-irish-times/

From the list I have tried about half..have not had the Tullamore Dew, Paddy, Middleton (hard to get), Michael Collins, Clontarf or Celtic Crossing (liquor).

Tullamore Dew is usually on sale this time of year...may pick one up...the Clontarf looks interesting.

Guru

Re: Tis Irish Whiskey time...nice reviews

I like the Tullamore Dew quite a lot (particularly the 12 yo)... the Michael Collins, not so much.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

I picked up the Tullamore Dew 12 today...and Clontarf Reserve.

Disciple

Tullamore Dew 12 is my favorite Irish whiskey, period. Jameson 12 is also very good. Even regular Jameson isn't too bad. Powers is also really good, especially for the price. I don't like regular Bushmills at all but Black Bush is another good one. Not only is Irish good straight, it is excellent mixed with ginger ale!

Thomas

Guru

When I was a real newbie with whiskey I used to enjoy Blackbush white with lemonade! Well, it made for a nice summer sipper.

Advanced Taster

Picked up some Tullamore Dew 12 today based on this thread. Don't know if I'll break it out this weekend or wait til tuesday.

I do like an Irish occasionally. I drink bourbon neat or with a half ice cube, but Jamesons I like to fill a tumbler with ice and pour a full glass.

Virtuoso

We are having some people over here for St. Patty's day. None of them are real whiskey drinkers, but one or two may have a pour. I have never gotten into Irish Whiskey, but want to have some on hand. What would you suggest I pick up that exemplifies Irish Whiskey, is a pleasant pour and is under $25?
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Disciple

You may accuse me of Epicurean tastes, and I have had very little experience with Scotch or Irish whiskey, but the same rule seems to apply when I'm drinking them: I don't like the blends much at all, but I tend to really like the single malts (or malt). So for me, Jameson's is not very appealing. . . I haven't tried the Black Bush, but I thought the Green Bushmill's was fantastic! This doesn't solve Ben's problem, I can't think of anything in his price range that I would care for. So far, however, I do prefer Irish whiskey to Blended Scotch (once again, my single malt Scotch experience is virtually non-existent).

Does anyone have a suggestion that might open the blends up for me?
    Last edited by funknik; 03-16-2009 at 06:09.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Guru

I posted some notes on the Clontarf Reserve (about $17)...if your friends are not real whiskey drinkers this qualifies as a gateway Irish...very light and smooth...easy to drink.....yesterday I had a neighbor over who was not that familiar with Irish....I poured Clontarf, Powers, Redbreast and Tullamore Dew.
    He really liked the Clontarf....the Powers was a little rough...he liked the Redbreast and Tullamore Dew but those are a little more expensive. Blackbush Black is really nice too...not sure you can find it for the price.
    Jameson's is also a good easy drinking whiskey.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    We are having some people over here for St. Patty's day. None of them are real whiskey drinkers, but one or two may have a pour. I have never gotten into Irish Whiskey, but want to have some on hand. What would you suggest I pick up that exemplifies Irish Whiskey, is a pleasant pour and is under $25?
    I pick up a new bottle each year for St. Patty's Day. So far I have accumulated Knoppogue Castle 1992, Redbreast 12, Tullamore Dew 12, Power's, and Kilbeggan. The "best" one from an overall quality standpoint would have to be the Redbreast 12. Irish does tend to be light, but this one has a lot more guts to it than the others. But, I think that is above your price point. Regardless, the most enjoyable bottle I have is the Kilbeggan. Very fruity on the nose, and a very nice, easy drinking whiskey. Non whiskey drinkers would have no problem enjoying this neat. But, it still has enough flavor to be enjoyable to a regular bourbon drinker, like yourself. Plus, it's definitely under your price point. It's also the most fun name to say after 5 shots, while just walking around the house talking like Sean Connery and saying things like, "Order me up another Kilbeggan, Laddy!!"
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama