Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bourbon and Branch - Opinions and Variations?

Although I usually drink my bourbon neat (caveat: I do like a good Manhattan), I'm always open to trying new ways to enjoy our favorite beverage. I've never done much experimentation with adding water, but I know that many people suggest that water can help to bring out flavors in bourbon that might be covered by the alcohol bite. With that in mind, I thought I'd give the old Bourbon and Branch thing a try. The "official" recipe I found calls for 2 oz. bourbon mixed with 4 oz. spring water served over ice. Gave that a shot, and I have to say it was pretty watery. Didn't do anything good for the flavor, at least to my palate. So, who out there likes the Bourbon and Branch thing? Less water, no ice, or another variation? Just curious how others like to enjoy when adding water.
    "It can giggle all it wants. The galaxy's not getting any of our bourbon!"

Advanced Taster

Re: Bourbon and Branch - Opinions and Variations?

I enjoy bourbon and soda water - about 1:4, with some ice. I don't think it does great things for great bourbon, but as a drink unto itself, and a way to enjoy good, but not great bourbon, it is one of my favorites.

Guru

I often order a Turkey and water while at a bar. Not being a beer drinker, Its a good accompaniment to some bar foods like hot wings.

I would guess based on the flavor and alcohol intensity that what I get at my favorite watering hole is around 1:3

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

IMO, when people refer to adding water to help bringout flavors, they are talking about adding small amounts, like 1/4 to 1/2 an ounce. Adding 4oz and some ice is making a nice summertime-out-on-the-porch-afternoon "tea"
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Quote Originally Posted by barturtle View Post
    IMO, when people refer to adding water to help bringout flavors, they are talking about adding small amounts, like 1/4 to 1/2 an ounce. Adding 4oz and some ice is making a nice summertime-out-on-the-porch-afternoon "tea"
    That's sort of what my tasting of this particular concoction said to me, too. Frankly, in 1:2 bourbon to water proportions (weaker than that, really, because of the ice), I think I'd rather drink the ingredients separately!
    "It can giggle all it wants. The galaxy's not getting any of our bourbon!"

Guru

I like bourbon and water. But I prefer bourbon and Perrier. I like a little fizz.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Advanced Taster

I agree with earlier post ... Just a splash of water to open up the taste ... But really, I prefer to shake the bourbon over ice, and then strain out the ice ... gives it a little chill and just the right amount of water for me ... without the continuous dilution problem you get by leaving the ice in the glass ...
    Dave

"Remember, the BEST bourbon is FREE bourbon ..."

Advanced Taster

At most, just few a small pour of water in. Usually I drink my bourbon neat, but I find that ORVW 10/107 becomes amazing with a really small splash of cold water.

Virtuoso

At the Brandy Library in NYC they provide an eye dropper with your neat pour if you request water. We are talking small amounts of water.

I have one of those athletes sipper style bottles with spring water that lets me add by the drop at home.

Does the term no pollution mean anything?

OK, so occasionally I'll add a very small amount of water, like <tablespoon, or drink a very high proof bourbon/rye on 1 cube.

However I will not try anything for the first time with any pollution added.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"