Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Bourbon and Branch - Opinions and Variations?

Although I prefer to drink my whiskey neat, I do, at times, like to drink a Wild Turkey 101 with lots of ice. I also like Old Grandad and water. Sometimes it makes for a nice change.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Disciple

When I started drinking bourbon, I always drank it on the rocks . . . eventually I feel like I graduated to drinking it neat and I rarely go back. The exception is if I'm having cheap bourbon in tandem with good beer, then I might add some ice . . . also, I rarely drink BIB bourbons without ice, but I rarely drink those as is. Sometimes I will add a small splash of cold water, typically because of a texture I may find could use some improvement -- for example, Baker's is very silky with a little splash. . . as far as bringing out the flavors? I've never really found that works much.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Virtuoso

I'll add a splash to Booker's very occasionally, but otherwise I drink neat.

Cheers!

Advanced Taster

I started drinking bourbon with lots of ice in the glass, as you would normally get a drink at the bar when you ask for "on the rocks". Then slowly I started asking for less and less ice. Now I drink most of my bourbons with a single cube, but always try them for the first time neat.

Virtuoso

99% of the time I drink my bourbon... and scotch, neat, at room temp. I don't find water to do much for bourbon at all, except water it down. Scotch, on the other hand, definitely changes with a bit of water.

Connoisseur

When I was 19, and the drinking age in Texas was still 18 years old, I was married to my first wife (turns out that the fourth time is the charm, NOT the third).

She poured herself a big glass of my bourbon. She didn't like the taste, so she then proceeded to mix it 50/50 with tap water. She didn't like that taste either, so she gave me this irretrievably polluted glass of bourbon that I had paid the princely sum of $8 for (1975 dollars).

I was aghast, and dumped it out. That wasn't the reason for our divorce, but it came close (grin).
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Connoisseur

I prefer it with strong bourbons like OGD117.

I also enjoy bourbon and branch bourbon isnt the focus, say at a party or dinner.

Having excellent ice, is key.

Virtuoso

While not quite bourbon and branch, I read somewhere (maybe here on SB) that someone liked whiskey mixed 1:3 with wate and called it Kentucky tea and I gave it a try and it just didn't have enough flavor to enjoy the bourbon. Maybe i might enjoy a 1:1 mix but the 1:3 was a waste of whiskey.

When I find the perfect way to drink whiskey, i'll tell you all the secret...until then I must continue with the experiments.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

I'm a newbie here, but I like bourbon and water just fine. That may be partially because my esophagus isn't in really great shape, and drinking it neat sometimes gives me heartburn. Half bourbon and half water is a good starting point for me, as I don't like it too watered. Same with scotch, if I may use the s-word here. I'm still trying to find the best mix of water to bourbon for best flavor and no heartburn.

Apprentice

I always add a good splash of spring water to anything over 100 proof.

Though a bolder bourbon, like Wild Turkey, makes an excellent Bourbon and Soda (ie. a take on a Scotch and Soda) for a tall drink.