Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Enthusiast

Re: Bourbon and Branch - Opinions and Variations?

Are there any suggestions from some of the experienced bourbon men as when to add water or not? Is it based on proof? Filtering? I would appreciate any of your thoughts. Thanks.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg73 View Post
    Are there any suggestions from some of the experienced bourbon men as when to add water or not? Is it based on proof? Filtering? I would appreciate any of your thoughts. Thanks.
    Personally, I think that adding water to bourbon does a horrible injustice to the bourbon.

However, when to add water should be based on your taste preferences.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEdwards View Post
    Personally, I think that adding water to bourbon does a horrible injustice to the bourbon.

However, when to add water should be based on your taste preferences.
    I pretty much drink my bourbon neat now. Seems to work best for me as far as taste is concerned. Didn't know if water was something I should ry to expnd the taste profile.

Thanks for the input.

Virtuoso

I find that just a few drops of water can very often open up or "expand the taste profile" of Bourbon - a little. Generally works best with pours over 90 proof, in fact I don't add water to anything with less than 86 proof.
    I use spring water NOT chlorinated tap water. And really, just a few drops not a big squirt.

On some barrel proof Bourbons small amounts of water seem to help the nose blossom a bit and it seems to bring some of the taste elements into better balance.

I prefer to drink the big proof stuff like Geo Stagg with enough water added to bring it close to 100 - 105 proof. So the water accomplishes two things - brings the proof low enough so that I don't scorch my taste buds for future use and helps open up the juice.

No right way or wrong way - the above is just my opinion and as always your milage may vary. I know there a plenty of people on the board that don't agree with me.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post

I prefer to drink the big proof stuff like Geo Stagg with enough water added to bring it close to 100 - 105 proof. So the water accomplishes two things - brings the proof low enough so that I don't scorch my taste buds for future use and helps open up the juice.
    100-105 is a bit to much water.
    Remember that water was not in the barrel and that's where the majority of the flavor comes from.
    Cutting it to 120-125 seems to do the trick for me
    ovh