Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Apprentice

Thanks For All Your Knowledge!

Hey folks! -

My name is Garrett and I live in St. Louis Missouri. I have been lurking on this site for about 6 months now occasionally chiming in if I have something helpful to add to the conversation. Through your adroit knowledge of all things bourbon I have delved into what I am able to afford whiskywise...lower and middle shelf options. My favorites are Evan Williams BiB, Elijah Craig 12yr, Evan Williams old 7yr when I can find it, and Old Weller Antique 107. As you can see I am a big fan of Heaven Hill Bourbons...I just love what I have heard Gillman call, "...that Bardstown taste." Man is it good.

My wife got me into whiskey about 3 years ago when she introduced me to Bushmills. She and her girlfriends would drink it on camping trips they would take out in West Texas...we're originally from Austin. I started drinking it and quickly found that whisky is delightful stuff.

We moved here to St. Louis back in July. I am attending Seminary at Covenant Theological Seminary and work washing windows part time. My wife is a talented graphic designer and works part time for a jeweler back in Austin and also at the Apple Store in the mall...

If you're in St. Louis drop me a line I would love to hang out.

Re: Thanks For All Your Knowledge!

Welcome Garrett nice to have you aboard I like EW as well try EWSB sometime. I used to live about 3 hours from St Louis in SE Iowa made that drive many a times great zoo. One of the few zoo's in the country to have a Kamodo Dragon and a Tutara. Well I tell all the new people to ask questions, make comments, give us your opinions and make friends it's all good here. There really are a lot of nice people on this site that will help you any way they can, Just ask. Try out chat official chat times are Thursday and Sunday nights but is available anytime.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 03-21-2009 at 22:18.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Guru

Welcome Garrett! As a seminary survivor myself (Anderson Univ. 2001) I can sympathize. I didn't start drinking until I was in seminary! After a glass or two it doesn't seem to matter as much that the Hebrew words are read from right to left.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

Welcome, Garrett! I, too, am a fiend for the Elijah Craig 12....HH (and bourbon for that matter) at its best.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Guru

Hey Garrett, welcome aboard. Heaven Hill makes some very good, consistent whiskies and EC is one of them. Good Bourbon from any maker is the last true value in the whiskey world.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by G-Rat View Post
    I am attending Seminary at Covenant Theological Seminary and work washing windows part time.
    I am currently in seminary as well. Set to graduate in May. Whiskey and theology seem to mix perfectly fine.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Apprentice

Thanks for all the kind words folks!

P_elliot...the zoo is pretty sweet. Its better than some zoos I have paid to go to...

All around...good to hear the love for Heaven Hill. They are interesting distillery in my book. 'Family' owned and making whiskey for just about everybody. And at least their prices don't kill your wallet. Sometimes I like the fact that they make bottom shelf options that actually don't taste like crap. While their better stuff isn't too expensive. Really wish Evan Williams was still its old 7year old self...Next in the hopper from Heaven Hill for me is Old Fitz Bib...we just started getting it regularly around here.

Josh...me too didn't start drinking bourbon till we got to St. Louis...loved Bushmills before that but didn't drink it hardly ever because it just wasn't in the budget.

Kickert...So true, Theology and Whiskey certainly mix.

G

Guru

Garrett,

Welcome. As a new drinker, sticking with what you like is good. As you develop your palate, begin to branch out and add other distillery selections to your collection (e.g. the OWA you listed). My experience has been that as I tried various bourbons, my tastes fine tuned. What I started with many years ago, rarely gets my attention any more. If you can find Very Old Barton BIB or Ancient Ancient Age 10 year, both of these are fine additions at a very low price point.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog