Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Enthusiast

hello from east tennessee

I have been a regular on this site trying to increase my knowledge base about bourbon. I have sampled many different ones over the years but lacked the palate to describe my likes and dislikes. I tend to return to the wheated bourbons after venturing out. In November we had a great hardhat tour of BT with Freddy, had lunch with Harlan, and enjoyed sampling in the tasting lab with Drew and Truman. They were very gracious hosts and tolerated our never ending questions. Also the staff at McScrooges have helped me along the way (lightened my wallet) not only with purchses and descriptions but the history of bourbon as well. As my tastebuds develop, I will try to contribute as I can. Thanks for the great site. tim

Advanced Taster

Re: hello from east tennessee

Welcome Tim,

It's always good to see a lurker turn member!

=Chris

Welcome aboard Tim, glad to have you. Freddy does a great tour. He was our guide during the KBF last year. Your not alone when it comes to liking wheated bourbons. I like a lot of others too, but it seems the wheaters are my favorites. Don't be bashful about posting or asking questions. That's what this place is all about. There is a lot of info here. Sometimes you can get the info you need by doing a search of past threads and posts. Hope you like it here. It's a great place to learn about bourbon, and have some fun while doing it. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Advanced Taster

Welcome to the board from a fellow Tennessean!
    Rye, The Spice Of Life.

Advanced Taster

Welcome. My bourbon journey began last August with a tour at Buffalo Trace, with Freddy. Nothing has been the same since. Look forward to your future posts. Don't be shy, everybody here as been where you are now.

Enthusiast

Welcome aboard Tim. Good to see a fellow East Tennessean join us. Enjoy

Enthusiast

Thanks for the warm welcome. I got started buying a nice bottle of bourbon for the land owners who let me hunt on their property ( I also had to try one for myself ). I tried to never give the same bottle twice. Over the years I found a few that I really liked but was disappointed to learn that they were no longer in production (weller 19, distillers masterpiece,etc..) This put me in a race to try as many bourbons as possible while they were available (Chuck had a name for this disease). My sampling far exceeds my palate but am enjoying the catch up.
    tim

Enthusiast

I just got back from a weekend at Blackberry Farms for my 40th birthday. While there I had the opportunity to sample thier barrel of pvw 15. Excellent pour, well balanced, slight hint of mustiness but not a detractor. Pvw 20 with dinner,and hirsh 16 gold foil in the cottage from home. They have an extensive bourbon and wine list with a very knowledgeable staff. New to this area are the Hudson whiskey/bourbons. I did sample these. The 4 grain reminds me of Woodford with out the metalic bite. I did not care for this one. IMO the flavors are working against each other. The rye and baby bourbon are good and show potential with some added age. I would highly recommend a stay at Blackberry Farms if anyone is traveling in East Tennessee.

Guru

Hey Tim welcome aboard, I second the recommendation to stay at Blackberry Farm.