Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Newbie

I just purchased a bottle of William Larue Weller (2008 release) 62.65%. Wow, this stuff is so smooth. I add two ice cubes and some water and sit back and relax! I have one question...where do I go from here? Have I spoiled myself for good? I was thinking a bottle of Pappy. Which one can compare to the William Larue Weller special edition?
    Last edited by dgoldb; 03-18-2009 at 21:51.

Re: Newbie

Nothing will taste like it but the whole adventure is to taste what they all taste like. From the top to the bottom you'll find something like Evan Williams for $13 that just coats your mouth. Then you go to the mid self region and find a RHF that sets your heart a glow. Then go dusty and find a WT RR 101 and that's some fine stuff. It's all in the chase otherwise they would make one perfect bourbon and we'd all buy it. Where would the the adventure be?
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Disciple

Welcome to the board, my friend. I haven't had any William Larue Weller, so I can't comment on where to go next, but it seems you have set the bar pretty high. Also, I'm jealous.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy

Welcome to the site. You are in a bit of a tough situation. I just don't get it when people get into something new and start at the top. Nowhere to go but off the scale now. Just kidding. You did happen to start with a very good bourbon though. Like Paul said, "It's all in the chase, otherwise they would make one perfect bourbon and we'd all buy it. Where would the adventure be" There's so much good stuff out there. Have fun. Try different stuff. Buy something from the bottom shelf, mid shelf and top shelf. Try some wheaters, then some rye based bourbons. Try to find some older stuff if you can. Buy something completely off the wall. Use some of the past posts on this site as a guideline. Give it some time, and with a little luck you'll be able to zero in on a few bourbons that really suit your taste. That's not saying ignore others either. I have a few core favorites, but I enjoy other bottles too. Be sure to post and let us know how it's going. Enjoy. It's all good! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

WLW is more about the wood flavors from its advanced age than it is about the wheated bourbon formula. You might like the extra-aged Van Winkles, but that's a lot of dough. I say give the other Buffalo Trace Antiques a try, especially Stagg and Eagle Rare. That will give you the woodiness you obviously crave. Elijah Craig 18 is another one that is reasonably priced. What you may be spoiled for is anything less than 12-years-old.

Guru

Welcome,

Nothing like starting out near the top. A companion to the 2008 WLW is the 2008 George T. Stagg usually known as 2008 GTS. That might be better or considered to be better by some on certain days. Pappy Van Winke 15 is a bourbon expert pleaser. Spend a little time on the board and the secrets are revealed.

Advanced Taster

The second bottle of bourbon I owned, not including many bottles of Jim Beam White in my early years, was a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 20. I was thinking the same thing as you. However, I have been having a blast trying as many as I can, learning how to taste and picking up the rye or wheat content in a bourbon, etc. I have as much fun trying the low to mid shelf brands looking for a gem. The great thing is, since taste is so personal, after very much research you may find that the perfect bourbon for your palette is an $18 unheralded brand. There's no telling based on price.

Thanks for the replies. I think you guys are right...before I go for the Pappy I think I am going to get a bottle of Knob, Booker's, and Makers. I want to be able to appreciate what I'm drinking. I'll keep you guys updated.

Virtuoso

I'm a big fan of the wheat recipe bourbons and the WLW is one of my favorites, but it's too expensive to drink all the time. The other wheated bourbons I would recommend (progressing down in price) are Pappy Van Winkle 15yo, Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107, and Weller Antique 107. But definitely try everything and find out which ones suit your fancy.

Guru

Hey dg, the top is as good a place to start as any. As you work your way through the different expressions I think you might find some happy surprises in the middle range.