Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Advanced Taster

Re: Who makes this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    Just to clairfy, even though single malts must come from a single distillery and the practice in Scotch is for independent bottlers to disclose the distiller, not all independent bottlers do. There are independently bottled malts like Finlaggan, Smokehead and others that are labeled single malt but not disclosed and Scotch fans play the same guessing games with them that Bourbon fans do with the latest from KBD. Unlike with Bourbon however, for Scotch, the more common practice, by a long shot, is for independents to openly and forthrightly disclose the distillery.
    oh well, they have the better system and we have the better whiskey which has the added benefit of also usually being less expensive.

at least there's that... (sorry for the thread drift).
    True Liquid-Love: Pappy 15 . Lot B . GTStagg . ETLee . VWFRRye . Baby Saz

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I don't know if I'd call their system better, but it is different. The key difference is that the Scottish whiskey industry runs on blends while the American industry runs on straights, meaning the typical American whiskey is the product of a single and known distillery, whereas the typical Scottish whiskey is the product of many anonymous distilleries. The typical American whiskey is the product of the distiller, whereas the typical Scottish whiskey is the product of the blender.

Advanced Taster

you're right of course. I was really just making a loose-joke about theirs being more transparent with respect to the actual distiller along with my own preference for Bourbon and Rye over Scotch.
    True Liquid-Love: Pappy 15 . Lot B . GTStagg . ETLee . VWFRRye . Baby Saz

Guru

I buy bonds as a choice for the reasons Chuck mentioned but so long as Barton is 100 proof I won't complain.