Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Your Favourite Nip Glass

Drinking bourbon is an experience or ceremony for me, i like to pour mine a certain way, with a certain amount of ice, in my favourite glass and yes i pour my favourite bourbon with my favourite nip glass measure too - anal you say? Maybe, passionate i return with.

I have in my possession an old Old Fitzgerald nip glass i like to measure 90 or 100 proof from (pictured).

So, how many of you other members have a preferred measure glass?
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is no secret that I love that elixir of the gods, bourbon.

Guru

Re: Your Favourite Nip Glass

Sorry, I am not familiar with the term, "nip glass". It is hard to tell the size from your close up photo. Is it approximately the size of a standard drink, about 1.5 oz or 50 ml? If yes, it would be similar to what is called a "shot glass" in the US.

I have been measuring my pours with some graduated laboratory flasks that were given to me by another member a few years ago. They are not fancy, but they get the job done. However, I usually only measure when I am mixing a cocktail (and not always, then). For simple drinking, I just pour what I think I want and start in.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Connoisseur

I think what Stones is calling a nip glass is what we call a jigger (glass to measure a pour of liquor) over here. Anyway, I'm going to go with the same glass because it's the only glass of the sort that I own. I also have a few shotglasses that are similar in that they are marked at 1.5oz but the Old Fitz jigger is a lot nicer.

edit: Didn't notice it before or remember it from my own but the glass actually says "Proof Selector Jigger" across the front of it. Also, it's marked at 1, 1.5, and 2oz and I think can be used to pour equivalent shots of the various proofed Old Fitzgerald expressions.
    Last edited by gothbat; 03-20-2009 at 08:30.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Disciple

I have that exact glass ("shot glass"). I don't think the point was to measure different Old Fitzgerald expressions -- back then, there was only 100 proof BIB! Instead, it would allow you to match the correct amount of OF BIB to a lesser-proof alternative (since "proof equals flavor"!)
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Virtuoso

The only "nip" glass I have is one from some kitchen store that I used to use for measuring espresso shots when I was into that.

I never have just a nip, so I don't know where that glass is any more.

Cheers!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by StraightBoston View Post
    back then, there was only 100 proof BIB! Instead
    Ah, good catch, the glass is 8 years older than OF:Prime!
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Guru

Not familiar with the term nip glass either.

I just pour and drink. I don't measure anything unless I'm making a cocktail. Then I use a measuring shot glass I bought in the kitchen department of some long forgotten store.

Enthusiast

Yes the most common term is shot glass here too, sometimes i call it a nip glass too and as detailed by gothbat it is a jigger glass. I guess i love this glass because i can measure my bourbon depending on its proof. Good to see others have the same one.

It is no secret that I love that elixir of the gods, bourbon.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I have come to appreciate the attached glass more than I did when I acquired it. Very simple, it holds four ounces. It's like a one-quarter scale version of a traditional pint ale glass. Not sure what it's called.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I have come to appreciate the attached glass more than I did when I acquired it. Very simple, it holds four ounces. It's like a one-quarter scale version of a traditional pint ale glass. Not sure what it's called.
    if this is similar to the standard 4 Roses glass that they use for their tasting, then I agree... I love the size. It is perfect for drinking a pour neat but when you don't want to deal with a glencairn.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.