Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Bourbon Question for the Scotch Drinkers...

If you wanted to recommend a bourbon to someone who is a fan of Islay whisky what would it/they be?
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey

Novice

Re: Bourbon Question for the Scotch Drinkers...

Well, certainly, there's no bourbon that would even begin to give the "smokey" flavor of an Islay...I'm a real lover of the Laphroig 15. That being said, I don't think you'd find a particular bourbon that would be analogous to an Islay. But, there are so many bourbons that I find absolutely delicious that I wouldn't hesitate to expect that they wouldn't be satisfying to someone that is a fan of Islay. I don't think it'd have to be expensive either...Go for a Buffalo Trace for starters.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I would recommend Elijah Craig 18 years old.

Gary

Disciple

I'd lean towards a rye. saz 18, and handy would top the list. That extra spice of rye can please smoke craving.

Enthusiast

I understand I am not going to find a bourbon that is similar to an Islay or any other malt, but I just want to find something that is not overly sweet, mid to top shelf. My initial thoughts were something spicy or oaky. I have been drinking primarily wheaters for a good while and I guess I feel I've lost touch with a lot of current rye releases.

Pollito, the recommendation is for someone who recently relocated to Kentucky so I wanted to stick with a Bourbon.

Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by IronHead; 10-30-2009 at 21:42.
    "F**k it, I'm gettin' into the whiskey."
    -Joe Alvey

Virtuoso

I second Buffalo Trace. My parents are huge scotch drinkers, and they appreciate the somewhat smoky quality that BT seems to possess.
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Taster

The obvious stuff would be GTS or Pappy 15, but to me WT Rare Breed has a very robust smoky char with oaky/earthy/leather tones after its been opened a few weeks(initially very spicy) that really holds its own next to a Laphroaig or Lagavulin.
    Fwisge For All!

Guru

Add my vote to BT. It has a certain earthiness to it and a nice, dry finish.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Advanced Taster

to me Bulleitt has an "earthy" (as in limestone) flavor but not forest earth of peat. I recently tried my first sip of WR 1838 sweet mash and found it to be earthy and put me in mind of some scotch, but this coudn't be regular fare for long as it's not regular production.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Actually, I am one of whose who believes the smoky background of most good bourbon may not be not unconnected to the peat character of some malt whisky from Scotland and some Scotch blends.

I have said before that a pet theory of mine, which I refuse to give up despite finding much evidence from around 1800 that science was counselling use of charred barrels to age wines and spirits for its rectification benefit, is that Americans who pioneered the new charred barrel for corn-based whiskey might have been emulating Scotch whisky, i.e., to get a similar smoky tang. James Crow was a Scot. James Crow had a lot to do with making bourbon what it is today - and he was a scientist to boot - so it may be "all of the above", now that I think on it further.

Bourbon and scotch whisky are cousins. They have more in common than appears at first blush, even in palate. Go for some of the recommendations given by the SB-ers here and your friend will not be disappointed.

Gary