Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Very Rare Old Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond 10yr

Hey Folks...especially those in Kentucky:

Does Heaven Hill still make this whiskey...I would love to try it.
    The latest thread on it dates back to last May and shows a bottle that was purchased that looked to be bottled in 2006. It was surmised that the juice was from DSP-KY31 the old Heaven Hill Distillery...then there are no more threads on it. It also seems like lose threads connote that it was hard to find or rare to find it even then. Were those the last bottles put out just before the fire and then because of said disaster there isn't any anymore?

I would Love to get a bottle or two of this. Is it still widely available in Kentucky?

Garrett

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Very Rare Old Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond 10yr

It appears to have been discontinued but there may still be some dusties out there.

Apprentice

That's too bad. Is it the same with the 8yr old expression as well?
    Thanks for the quick reply too.

The oldest I've seen recently is a six-year-old.

Apprentice

thanks...so of Heaven Hill's current bottlings the oldest Bonded one they have would be Henry McKenna (which was good I thought). I assume that the Heaven Hill Bonded is much the same as the Dant Bonded and the Evan Williams Bonded they put out.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Rat View Post
    thanks...so of Heaven Hill's current bottlings the oldest Bonded one they have would be Henry McKenna (which was good I thought). I assume that the Heaven Hill Bonded is much the same as the Dant Bonded and the Evan Williams Bonded they put out.
    Not necessarily. It's all about barrel selection. All of these products are bottled infrequently because they are low volume, and it's a matter of what's available (i.e., what whiskey is mature) at the moment in the quantity needed. With bonds, you are stuck using only whiskey from a single season, so it's hard to make adjustments. Obviously, they all start out the same, but barrel selection can make a big difference when the products are bottled. Although these are cats and dogs, for the most part, I assume they also have a profile for each and make an effort to adhere to the profile for each label.

Apprentice

that's true I had not thought of that. I guess I just got the impression that there were so many labels at Heaven Hill that there was no way they were putting that much time and effort into each of these smaller runs of Bonded Bottles. But I guess tat selection would have to vary from year to year anyhow with barrel selection anyhow and between each product as well...

Guru

I enjoyed the 10 yr bonded and drank it regularly years back but haven't seen any available for the last 6 years or so.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    It appears to have been discontinued but there may still be some dusties out there.
    Damn!! I've got a bottle open of this right now that I picked up in KY about 1 1/2 years back. Great stuff for the $$. I'll have to try and find some more while it lasts...
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

I'd buy a case of this stuff if I ever came across it. It is one of the best bang for the buck bourbons I've ever had. This and EW BiB are exceptional values at their price!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"