Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little help

Connoisseur

A little help

I just found out that I can special order any of the whiskeys listed below. Because I live in a control state my local stores don't care them. I plan on ordering all of these because I have heard nothing but good things about all of them. My question is. What order would you'll order them in? I will order one every two to three weeks.

Eagle Rare 17yr Ky Straight Bourbon
    George T. Stagg Ky. Straight Bourbon
    Kentucky Vintage Small Batch
    Laphroaig Quarter Cask
    Noah's Mill Small Batch 15yr
    Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 20yr Bourbon
    Rock Hills Farms Single Barrel
    Rowan's Creek
    Sam Houston
    William Larue Weller Bourbon

Disciple

Re: A little help

Quote Originally Posted by independant View Post

Laphroaig Quarter Cask
    Rowan's Creek
    Sam Houston
    The Eagle Rare, GTS, WLW are all special releases that are generally sold out. If you can get them, I would recommend getting the GTS for sure, and if you have the money, spring for the WLW as well. The Pappy 20 is too oaky for me, but a lot of great people with great taste love it. Right now it is sold out in most places but the next shipment is supposed to be here in the next month or so.

From the remaining list, the RHF is well loved and widely hailed as being a great pour.

I haven't had the rest, but there is a reason for that ;-)
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Advanced Taster

Eagle Rare 17yr Ky Straight Bourbon - 5th
    George T. Stagg Ky. Straight Bourbon - 1st
    Laphroaig Quarter Cask
    Noah's Mill Small Batch 15yr - tie 6th
    Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 20yr Bourbon - 4th
    Rock Hills Farms Single Barrel - 3rd
    Rowan's Creek - tie 6th
    Sam Houston
    William Larue Weller Bourbon - 2nd
    That is how I would rank/purchase them. The Sam Houston isn't worth special ordering in my opinion. I haven't had any Kentucky Vintage Small Batch and I typically don't care for Islay scotches.

The GTS and WLW take priority because as Ben said, they're seasonal releases. The GTS flies off shelves. I ranked the RFH above the Pappy 20 because of the cost and because GTS and WLW are ahead of them. After the heartiness of those bourbons, it's nice to sit back with some RHF and enjoy the sweetness. I love the Barrel Proof BTAC (Handy, GTS, and WLW). I haven't found the ER17 and Saz18 worth the cost. My local store is still stuffed with 2008 ER17 and it's been that way for a long time. I've tried both Rowan's Creek and Noah's Mill and enjoyed them. They don't take precedence over the other whiskeys though.

Advanced Taster

I agree about picking up the BTAC first if you can get them. You might want to order that Laphroaig soon too (I haven't had the QC yet but I really like the 10yo CS) as I've been told that the price is going to go up shortly.

Virtuoso

I just found out that I can special order any of the whiskeys listed below. Because I live in a control state my local stores don't care them. I plan on ordering all of these because I have heard nothing but good things about all of them. My question is. What order would you'll order them in? I will order one every two to three weeks.

Laphroaig Quarter Cask
    Rowan's Creek
    Sam Houston
    Obviously, it depends on what you like, but if it were me, I would jump at the Stagg, Eagle Rare, Laphroaig and Pappy. Weller and Rock Hill Farms have lots of fans and they are fine Bourbons, just not among my favorites. I don't care for Rowan's Creek or Kentucky Vintage and I've never had Houston or Noah's Mill.

Disciple

Almost all of those are available on a regular basis in Texas retail stores....and I don't buy any of them. Not that they are bad...because they aren't. They are all just way out of my regular pricing comfort zone.

If I had to chose one....it would probably be the Stagg.

Though, I did buy and open a Sam Houston once. It is ok for HH juice.

Jeff Mo.

Disciple

Let me dissent a little... if he can still get the 2008 BTAC selections, then I believe ER17 would be the first pick, followed by the WLW and then the GTS.

Of the remainder, I'd order the RHF over the Pappy 20 as a better value pour (plus I prefer the Pappy 15!) The problem with the SH, Vintage, Noah's Mill and Rowan's Creek are that you don't know what juice you're getting for the price -- as I said recently about Michter's, some bottles are epic, and some are so-so. If your wallet don't mind, I'd pick Vintage and Rowan's Creek first.

(Can't help you with the Scotch!)
    Kevin

"Clears up her head with bourbon/Cause beer is so suburban/And declasse for what it's worth"

Virtuoso

You know you want to try them all - so just pony up and tell the clerk "one of each please" - but only some will be available and some only this year. So go with the Pappy and BTAC for sure because they are typically the hardest to find - you might even be able to get the Pappy at the old pricing if you are special ordering from old stored stock and some controll states have BTAC at the lowest prices around.

These are the ones I have tried and for me - and it's all subjective - it would be this order;
    Rowan's Creek
    (the order of this list doesn't reflect which is "better" only which ones I would find the hardest to pass up at a good price)

I haven't tried these;
    Laphroaig Quarter Cask
    Sam Houston

Connoisseur

Thanks everyone for the input. I do believe the BTAC is what i am going after first. At 70+ a bottle not all at once. The local ABC manger tells me that they are well stocked with all of these in Richmond so there is no rush.

Guru

Thanks everyone for the input. I do believe the BTAC is what i am going after first. At 70+ a bottle not all at once. The local ABC manger tells me that they are well stocked with all of these in Richmond so there is no rush.
    They are well stocked with what? I too live in VA and happen to know that they are out of BTAC, they don't carry Rowans Creek or KY Vintage. I've seen Sam Houston, RHF and Pappy 20. Keep in mind that VA is one of the pricier states to purchase bourbon. For instance, VA charges $70+ for GTS. WV charges $43. I actually found one ABC store today in Warrenton that had Old Weller Antique. The cost is $23. I can get the same bottle in Montgomery County for $15.50. My point is, VA is expensive, so stretch your bourbon dollars and purchase out of state or thru mail order if it's cheaper even with shipping.
    “Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” - P.J. O’Rourke
    Greg's "bourbondork" blog