Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Connoisseur

Re: Very Rare Old Heaven Hill Bottled in Bond 10yr

One thing you can be sure of is that HH doesn't make EC12 by mixing 10 year bond with some older stuff. The youngest whiskey in EC is at least 12 years old.

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

In some of their core markets, like Kentucky and Tennessee, but also the Carolinas and other parts of the South, Heaven Hill has always done big business with the Heaven Hill label. They offer a lot of different expressions and not just in bourbons. They have blends, and even white goods like gin and vodka, that they sell under the HH brand name. Whatever it is, it's always a great value.

Some of these products are actually owned by distributors, which is too complicated to explain here.

But whether it was a distributor or HH itself that pulled the plug on the 10-year-old BIB, the reason is the same. Well-aged KSBW is too valuable right now to sell it that cheap. The product's appeal was its great value so if they raised the price it would lose its primary appeal, so better just to discontinue it.

It's unrelated to the fire. Any supply problems the fire may have caused cleared the pipeline years ago.

There's no more to it than that.

Apprentice

Chuck thanks for clearing that up.

Mike - Right. Duh. Knew when i typed that that something was wrong but just kept typing.

Sorry to any and all or just Mozilla maybe for beating a dead horse. At least it felt that way.

G

Disciple

No need to be sorry. We are here to discuss bourbon and bourbon accessories. That's why this site is called Straight Bourbon.....and NOT, Straight Off Topic.

Jeff Mo.

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post

Without seeing their production numbers for each label and knowing their attitude towards their huge collection of labels...it is really hard to comment accurately on how they forsee the future of their brands.

I can't think of too many reasons...a distiller would completely pull one of their own labels. Cost for keeping it alive in the market being the biggest cost factor, against it.
    #1 Reason why it's not there....Demand for the product has deminished. I can remember years ago bottling this product in 1.75 handle bottles....that was years ago. Someone was ordering it quite regular back then. Slowly, the numbers went down and the size of the orders bottle/numbers went with it.
    Last edited by boone; 03-30-2009 at 23:02.
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Disciple

Bettye Jo,
    Is there something we can do as a group that would help keep some of our favorite "odd" labels alive at HH?

The two I would like to see kept alive are:
    Very Rare Old HH 10yr Bib and Dowling Deluxe 8yr Bib\

Texas only gets one HH Bib and that is Old Fitz. Sure is tough being a fan of HH when almost none of their Bib's make it here.

Jeff Mo.

Guru

We are fortunate in getting a full line of Heaven Hill products in Mississippi.

Advanced Taster

I don't buy that explaination, Boone. I've preached to the rafters on numerous occasions on this very forum that VROHH BiB is really EWSB '95 for half the price...and it seems those that actually tried it agree with me it is an exceptional whiskey regardless of price. As noted by several in this thread, it was a dusty, but once folks found it, it went quick. I know I'd buy it by the case now, as I had in the recent past. It may not sell as much as the God awful green label, but I bet they could bring it back and charge $15 a 750, and it'd sell like icewater in the desert.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by wku88 View Post
    I don't buy that explaination, Boone. I've preached to the rafters on numerous occasions on this very forum that VROHH BiB is really EWSB '95 for half the price...and it seems those that actually tried it agree with me it is an exceptional whiskey regardless of price. As noted by several in this thread, it was a dusty, but once folks found it, it went quick. I know I'd buy it by the case now, as I had in the recent past. It may not sell as much as the God awful green label, but I bet they could bring it back and charge $15 a 750, and it'd sell like icewater in the desert.
    HH only makes one ryed bourbon. So, yes...everything starts from the same distillate.

Jeff Mo.